Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POP goes the ON switch

Default Retitled - Never Doubt Al

Where to start... I know, Never Doubt AL

First... The back of the termination board was smoked... nothing on the front of the board indicated this. Had a spare! Yay!!

Dang it, that did not solve the problem. Could run all the tests, everything moved but the cut motor.

With 3 machines on their backs in various states of disassembly...

So my original C machine has the x-term from the A machine (the 2nd C x-term looks like it had gotten hot), we moved the controller from the 2nd C machine to my original C.

The baby ran! I feel we are left with more mysteries than we solved. Can the controller fail in just one aspect and have everything else work?

Just a side note... If you are thinking of buying a used machine, and the hours are low, ask LHR if the seller has purchased a controller. There is NO way this 2nd C only ran for 120 hrs. It is in worse condition than the A with twice as many hrs on it..

Also, I really would like to solve the problem of the fried x-termination board. This one only 19.5 hrs of run time. I get that it is a protective measure, but what the heck does it protect from? What do I have to fix?

I am on my way to Best Buy to get a couple of UPS's, perhaps I need more line conditioning?

A bad xterm can ruin a good cut motor.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

And a bad X term can kill a computer.... the whole reason for the Opti Couplers is to let the computer light a LED light inside the 6 pin chips and the light turns on a photo transistor in turn turning on something else like the Q1 and the Cut Motor...

When the boards burn high voltage gets into the computer side and kills the gates inside the computer or more...

I agree a ups power conditioner.... Plus if the power goes out the machine still runs and you don't loose a project.

How is the Shop Humidity...? That could fry stuff like this is the shop is wet in the morning.... If you have condensation on the machine wait and run some heat and fans.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    Where to start... I know, Never Doubt AL

...we moved the controller from the 2nd C machine to my original C.

The baby ran! I feel we are left with more mysteries than we solved. Can the controller fail in just one aspect and have everything else work?

Also, I really would like to solve the problem of the fried x-termination board. This one only 19.5 hrs of run time. I get that it is a protective measure, but what the heck does it protect from? What do I have to fix?
    This situation does seem strange. A strange coincidence that something popped and at the same time the field wire came off. I do not see how they could be connected if the motor was not running at the time. Maybe the field wire came off when you took the motor apart but is not the real problem. You have to keep searching for the source of the pop. Look at the controller board.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    This situation does seem strange. A strange coincidence that something popped and at the same time the field wire came off. I do not see how they could be connected if the motor was not running at the time. Maybe the field wire came off when you took the motor apart but is not the real problem. You have to keep searching for the source of the pop. Look at the controller board.
    Like He said...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Any one know how many watts this thing is? Doesn't work on my 350w UPS. Cut motor draws 3amps, how about the rest of it?

The cut motor draws more than 3 amps. More like 10 amps. The rest of it draws little in comparison.

Ahh He got three up where the cover switch goes to the motor.. any idea on the overall?

I think the machine says on the base at the lower right. (I am at work and cannot look.) Many with large DCs have calculated wattage's. Do a search.

Got it from the label.. 8 amps Thanks so much!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast