Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sign: Shop Principles

Default Sign: Shop Principles

Whether we admit it or not, all of us have a personal philosophy on how we approach working in our shops whether we are just hobbyists or hard-core professionals. In over 50 years of working in wood, I’ve come up with quite a few thoughts on the subject, but recently I decided to consolidate them and write them out. I’ve distilled it down to just four rules now, which doesn’t seem like much, but in lengthy reflection, it does seem to cover it all.

Here they are:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shop Principles.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	78161 (click on photo to enlarge)

I have yet to carve the plaque because I am looking for just that perfect piece of lumber that will lend gravity to the thoughts entailed… but it will happen.

In explanation:

1. Hurrying, rushing, time deadlines, and overtasking limited time has never resulted in a better product and frequently results in more mistakes – which you already know you don’t have time to correct.
    2. I actually measure more than twice if I have ANY doubt. It’s really hard to uncut a board.
    3. This is from my days doing surgery. Sometimes you have achieved a good result and then trying to make it juuuuust a little bit better will set off a cascade of events that will screw the whole thing all to hell. Don’t ask me how I know this.
    4. Getting bloodstains out of wood is a LOT harder than not bleeding on it in the first place. If you see blood, stop and patch yourself up. Unfortunately, not bleeding in the shop, i.e. not nicking, slicing, stabbing (splinters), smashing, or scraping fingers, knuckles, hands, and arms, doesn’t seem to be one of my options. I don’t think I’m particularly clumsy, but I do keep a BIG box of Band-Aids in the top of my tool box… and I get a tetanus booster every five years whether I need it or not. Caveat: I’ve only drawn blood with hand tools. With power tools I am VERY aware where the blade or arbor or spindle is and where all of my parts are in relation to it. I stay a little scared (or more) of all power tools.

What are your shop principles?

Love it!! Great job.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

My wife and I were just talking about shop principles this weekend. We have been working to complete a display cabinet for a customer in Ney York. I find myself being able to focus on a project in the shop for about 4-6 hours and after that it is time to exit and wait for another day, so I guess the principle is "After the first time you cut the wrong line or drill the hole in the wrong spot, it is time to call it a day and go and watch football" I really like the 200K principle about not bleeding on your project...well said!!
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I believe that about covers it and I whole heartedly agree with #4. I still have all of the appendages that the good Lord gave me at birth. Thanks for posting.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Great points for thought. I have struggled with #1 all my life. Thanks for the post.

Yup. And I've violated all 4 of those, more times than I want to be remembered for! Got a good chuckle and will post that in the shop (on paper until after I get the bleeding stopped). Would like to give credit, is there a name to apply, or do I carve "200k"? Thanks for sharing this wisdom.
    Jerry
    Having fun with my CW now!
    C Machine spring of 2013, CarveTight, Rotary, designer 3.102, probe/PE,
    vector 2d, 3d advanced, conforming vectors, STL. Photo Explosion 4.
    HF 2hp dust collector. Headquartered in West-Central IL.

I like saying it would be good for my shop thx and like it
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Wood Art 1,
    200k is a pseudonym I created when I decided over five years ago I wanted to ride my bicycle 200 kilometers (124 miles) in one day. It's called a brevet in cycling circles and 200k is the shortest one! I thought signing messages with that pen name would be a constant reminder of a desired goal that I would ultimately achieve. I did train extensively and had a target date sometime in June 2010 But since that initial enthusiasm I have crashed seriously twice. In March 2010 I hit a dog and fractured my pelvis and spent six months in a wheelchair and the next couple of years trying to get back my fitness. On July 31st this year I hit an unseen slick spot and crashed, knocking myself unconscious. I woke after an unknown amount of minutes and spent the next few days in intensive care. I'm riding again now but at age 65, I may have passed that point in my life when I can actually achieve the amount of fitness it requires to do a 200k ride. But now I'm stuck with the moniker. Still, I'd like to try it so I keep it. FWIW, my name is Steve Churchill. Glad to meet cha!

Steve, sorry to hear of your challenges. I can see where your wisdom and your goals have come together. Don't give up yet. My father rode RAGBRAI across Iowa 28 times - the last in his late 70's. He lived until 96 and reminisced about the good rides and the bad ones to the end. You will have success, keep that goal. I want to know when you achieve it. These principals were obviously developed over a lifetime of successes and not so successes. Thanks again for letting us know about you. Happy/safe riding and please share more of your work with us. Respectfully, I will go with the 200K attribution.
    Jerry
    Having fun with my CW now!
    C Machine spring of 2013, CarveTight, Rotary, designer 3.102, probe/PE,
    vector 2d, 3d advanced, conforming vectors, STL. Photo Explosion 4.
    HF 2hp dust collector. Headquartered in West-Central IL.

I was told a while back by someone I looked up to that its not a worthy project until you've bled on it. Haven't bled on any Carvewright projects yet but I've been to ER for stitches a couple of times, once when a roof truss slipped and fell on my finger and once when I hit my thumb with a sledge hammer! Oh, and there was that stupid incident with a chain saw...Still have all my digits! I told my wife if it can be done, I'll eventually do it, but I've never made the same mistake twice!
    Last edited by ToucheTurtle; 10-06-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast