Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood cover sketch book

Mike,

Thanks. I had not seen that article. That technique is a beautiful elegant solution. I'll keep it in my back pocket for a more elegant project.

I am using a modified version of the technique used by Mr. David Henry on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3foxwJQRd60. The only tool you need is a table saw or a steady hand with a hand saw. A hand router/table router makes clean up easier but a rasp can also be used with sandpaper.

Regards,
    Oscar

Default Wood book guide

As promised (kind of), enclosed is a guide to the last design I used for my last wood book.

This is the third design so far but its the easiest and most forgiving so far.

They all work. Its just which one one prefers and what tools you have available. I said in the guide to use a table saw or hand saw, but a band saw, router table, scroll saw could work just as well. A router does help in rounding over the needed edges.

Again, just a blank canvas for the imagination to fill in.

Happy carving.

Oscar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood cover book guide.pdf  

3. Default

Did you use pieces to form the covers for wood movement and warp reasons or another reason? I am just wondering why not a solid piece?

Norm,

Other. It was for alignment with the dowel rod. You can drill through the pieces (my design #1 and #2 attempt) but I found it to be very inconsistent with my tools and my lack of precision. This method will get laser straight cuts every time (or at least most of the time for me). The WoW book opens very smoothly and with no squeaking. My previous books did have some wood rubbing on wood due to non-perfectly aligned drill holes.

If you can drill straight, then design #1 and #2 will work fine.

Hope you have a chance to build some of these.

5. Default

Thank you, I can see where it would be hard to drill straight through that length of hinges.

Oscer thank you for sharing the PDF file. My wife is a scrapbooker. With an addiction just like a carviholic.

That is awesome. Can't wait to see your efforts.

It can become her portfolio for her special pieces.

These wood books will be for special events or people.

They are very expensive compared to a regular binder (~30-60 dollars in material based on species used).

They are heavy.

They take time to make (1-3 days depending on glue, stain[if used] and sealant drying times). Add more time if you are adding leather or other embellishments. As a note: the leather really softens up the feel of the book and is really kind of cool on how it feels.

It does take some skill both as a woodworker and as an artist.

So in the end these books become special as well as pieces of art in their own right.

Pulled out the scroll saw to try to make some of the really cool hinges from the article Mike showed us. Tried to make 2in hinges with my 2in scroll saw.

Unmitigated failure.

First of all I found out you really do need some skill with a scroll saw. My lines were all over the place. Secondly I was really pushing my little scroll saw to try to cut to its limit. When I showed my wife my results, she first cringed a little and then started laughing. So I am giving up on these. Too small for me and I don't have the rights tools for it (though once I am over the hurt feelings I may try it on my band saw).

So hopefully someone else has the patience and tools for it. Enclosed are some quick scroll patterns I made for a 2in hinge as explained in the video tutorial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wooden hinges.pdf  

For my stepson who is a nerd like me, "For the Horde!"

Fan art design I made for a book cover. Carved it today in black walnut and it came out looking sweet.

Not sure what the fan art rules are so will only show off the images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Horde symbol.png   Horde symbol.png  

Really simple jig but actually worked really well for me today. I tacked a 1 in strip on the end of a 3/4 in blank so I would have a 1/4 overhang. It allowed me to set my table saw fence to cut the dado for a 1/4 dowel hinge and then cut a 1/4 in plug to cover the dado by flipping the 1/4 stock on its side. You can be cut the plug flush when the glue sets. I cut the plug slight thicker than 1/4 in but used by bench sander to custom fit to the dado slots individually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jig.png  

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast