Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Drive

Default X-Drive

So I have a C machine with approximately 19.5 hours on it. Have never really been able to get accurate board measurements so I've been doing Rotary lithos. In any case, tried another board and ended up with crunch, click and stall on Xdrive. I decided to check the gears. Sure enough they looked worn.

So I orderrd another set, installed them, and now I can't get the X-Drive to run at all. When I perform a test of the Xdrive there is about an 1/8 of an inch belt movement before I get a stall message. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when I do the penny and dime test depending on the position of the metal drive gear the 11¢ will slide between however if I roll the gear there is a point at which it will no longer fit. Thus suggests to me that the metal gear is not straight/out of round/square (however you say it). However, I can not find any instructions for adjusting this gear. Not sure if this would be the issue, though I could see where it could cause binding.

Not sure where to go from here.

**UPDATE**

So this may not be appropriate technique but I figured if the gears were putting the motor in a bind, then removing the bind would at least allow evaluation of the motor. So I removed gears and ran the user X-Test on the motor...the motor jerked and then popped the error code. So eliminated the gears but the response from the motor made me wonder about wiring. So checked the board connection and obtained same response. Well final try with motor in hand, and having gently worked the wires I ran the test again and the motor was humming (operating/functioning. So it looks like wiring connection in the motor. Have no clue what to do about that but...I believe it's what needs fixing.

Again, any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

WHat error code are you getting Forrest?? I'm still having issues with my x drive also. Mine won't even run a test, I get the error code immediately. I assume it electrical since everything else is working or I have 2 dead x motors on my hands.

Make sure you are also checking your head pressure on a regular basis to insure you are not over working the X drive.

Great job of troubleshooting!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

We found a loose connection in our motor last year, just under the insulation sheath. It was running intermittently. Once we snugged it tight, it worked for 100 more hrs. before the motor just burned up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arcing.jpg   WireThinning.jpg   OverloadFuseConnections.jpg   StaterOverloadFuse.jpg  

Thanks for the responses and the photos.

I keep a scale right under the machine to try and stay on top of the head pressure. When the CW arrive the head pressure was 150 so I've been a bit hypervigilant about it.

Zan... The code I believe is E04-0304. I'll double check but it's the standard X-D stall code.

Thanks Dian Mayfield! I believe that's what I'm dealing with. I've been hesitant to disconnect the motor but I think at this point it's worth closer inspection. The photos are very helpful. Did you simply pop the cap off the back of the motor?

The motor cover is a clamshell, a top and bottom. Remove the screws and carefully pry apart. Be VERY careful reassembling so that you don't pinch wires Good Luck!!

Just talked to hubby.. He recommends that if you can, solider the joint between the fuse and the wire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motor Cover.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    We found a loose connection in our motor last year, just under the insulation sheath. It was running intermittently. Once we snugged it tight, it worked for 100 more hrs. before the motor just burned up.
    isn't that the cut motor your showing sure look like it
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

For all things X Drive Motor you need to look at 2 places... The X Termination Board that does 2 things, routes the computer control signals to the cut motor and to the X drive Motor. Look for loose plugs and any burnt stuff.

Next is the actual motor where the plug of multi wires brings in power and operated the encoder and returns the encoder signals to the computer as pulses.

During construction if the plastic plug or socket is not fully seated on the circuit board. When the wave soldering is done this leaves the socket where when the plug is pushed on can push the socket further into the circuit board ripping the DONUT hole copper traces. I made a bunch of money fixing plugs like this at the Sony Service Center in my younger years.

See last picture for the donut hole pins...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X Term board.jpg   Burnt X Termination.jpg   DSC06552a_WEB.jpg   DSC06536_WEB.jpg  

DSC07498_WEB.jpg   DSC06657_WEB.jpg   DSC06547_WEB.jpg   DSC06549_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Henry,

You are right, it was a cut motor. Didn't read through all of the posts - saw motor, went with what I had. My bad, sorry Forrest.

I guess that if the one motor is assembled by whatever manufacturer LHR selects and it is assembled sub par, we should look at the assembly of the other modules in the same light. Look for wiring defects, look for assembly problems. The fact that Suzanne has 2 of the X motors that are bad - baring any other defects - indicates that there are manufacturing problems similar to our motor connections to the overload fuse. Crappy workmanship, that the folks that do not have the aptitude to evaluate, have pay for.

In the example in my photographs, if my dear hubby didn't have the nuts to explore, we would have bought a new motor from LHR 100 hours before needing one. Just because the folks in some foreign land didn't assemble the connection between the overload switch and the winding correctly.

Our advise - look at everything - wiring included. If you are not comfortable with wiring, post pictures and Al or Dan or one of the other techies on here will give you great advise or knowledge. Generally I will just give you something else to look at based on my experience

That's the same error I get also. I have changed the motor, termination board and checked every detail LHR told me to and still the same result. I've removed the gear box, checked for damage. I can't believe I would have 2 bad motors on my hands but I'll have a lot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Thanks for the responses and the photos.

I keep a scale right under the machine to try and stay on top of the head pressure. When the CW arrive the head pressure was 150 so I've been a bit hypervigilant about it.

Zan... The code I believe is E04-0304. I'll double check but it's the standard X-D stall code.

Thanks Dian Mayfield! I believe that's what I'm dealing with. I've been hesitant to disconnect the motor but I think at this point it's worth closer inspection. The photos are very helpful. Did you simply pop the cap off the back of the motor?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast