Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carving words and phrases

Quote Originally Posted by joesprin View Post
    Can you remember what the solution was? That's about the vintage of my machine -- could be a machine problem or a software problem.
    The Draft feature was added with the specific purpose of adding a gentle angle to the outer edge of lettering (or anything you want as it turns out now), thereby reducing chipout during the machining process - especially thin parts of lettering. The Small Draft is a 7 deg angle, the Medium is 25 deg, the Large is 45 deg (if my memory serves correctly).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Not sure what you mean by adding draft. I usually only get to work on my wood projects over the weekend, that's why I haven't replied. I'll try to take a picture of one of my carvings along with the mpc. I've been carving for about three years now, but this is the one bugaboo that always gets to me. I make an ambo for church with a lot of parts in oak, and all the letters carved great -- of course they were about 2 1/2 in. each. OOOPS! Sorry -- just went back into the program and saw the draft feature which I never noticed before. Can't wait 'til the weekend to see if adding the draft makes any difference. Also will try to maintain heighth and width. Also will take a picture of carving and include mpc. In the meantime, thanks to all who have replied to my post. Wish I had more time to play -- I probably could figure some of this out if I had time.
    This is an example of draft. The appearance will be affected by the height and depth of the object you are applying the draft to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Draft Example.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-30-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    Steve

Besides Draft, you need to set Bit Optimization to Best.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

It wouldn't let me post the pictures. Said I didn't have permission to post them. New problem this AM. When I turned the machine on, I couldn't read the display. Tried changing the contrast, vacuumed everything, checked memory card -- nothing seems to help. Has something blown -- such as system card. LATER POST -- took memory card back to memory reader and did update firmware. Brought it back to the carver and it started up okay -- so at least for now that problem is solved. I'm now trying to get the z-truck tightened. There is quite a bit of wobble, which I think accounts for lots of the poor quality of carves. Going to go back to step one when I get a chance and re-install z-truck. Would it be advantageous to get a carvetight spindle with a new z-truck. Are most people happier with that??

Is it getting power? Try to move the carriage by hand. If it is getting power, you will feel resistance.

Would it be advantageous to get a carvetight spindle with a new z-truck. Are most people happier with that??
    Yes, definitely. Big improvement in quality and noise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12