Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Y axis issues

Default Y axis issues

My second gen Carvewright was working fine. Reorganized my shop and moved it. Now I get 2 errors.

1. The carve motor will not run. I do the motor test and it says it is running fine, but it is not turning at all.

2. I get a Y axis belt slips and y axis failure error. The Y axis motor is about 6 months old, as are the bearings. The belt is tight. I test the y axis and it seems to run fine. If I turn off the machine, and push the carve head by hand back and forth in the y direction, on the end toward the keyboard the pushing gets harder, maybe the last 1 to 2 inches. The rest of the way, nice and smooth.

Any ideas?

texasinmi

check your y-gear on the moter it mihgt have a tooth or two missig

For the cut motor, check the right cover switch. (DC holding the cover up?)

Does the y stall occur when the carriage is by the keypad side? Is the flex hitting on the top?

Maybe moving caused the top cover of the machine to shift.

Cut Motor hours? Over 295 and the brushes can be TOO Short...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06140_WEB.jpg   DSC01471_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Texasinmi,I had this problem also, found the wires under the top had loosened, (near the cut motor). Make sure there firmly seated.
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Fixed the cut motor with the community's help, lose wire.

I ran the y axis test and runs fine. The y axis fails during homing after I put in the bit and it checks for bit height. It fails at the side with the keyboard.

New, when the little arm comes out during the bit height test, it clicks 4 times. Any ideas?

texasinmi

I would say the belt slips during the bit plate thwacks and then the carriage goes too far the other way and slams into the keypad side.

Look at belt condition and tension.

After that, you could be into the Y gear bearings. 250 - 300 hours on the Y motor pack? Wiggle the Y sprocket with your fingers to see if the bearings are gone.

Belt condition good and tension is tight. Only 137 hours on the machine. I changed the bearings and the Y motor about a year ago. Bearings seem good and tight.

When I test the Y axis, I get some numbers. How do I interpret them?

texasinmi

Well, what you describe is classic belt slip at the bit plate. If it stalls into the keypad side, then the y position has been lost by some kind of slip. The belt, the gear, or the encoder disk. (I suppose data could be lost if the FFC ribbon was cracked.) The belt can also slip in the clamp behind the truck.

Why not try putting a mark on the belt and y sprocket with a felt pen. See for sure that the belt does or does not slip.

If it is slipping, how do you correct that?

texasinmi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast