Thread: Can't do anything...finding bit then nothing

1. Angry Can't do anything...finding bit then nothing

I am trying to do a simple project, have it saved brought over to the machine, run through the menus. It asks what bit I have, it is 1/16th Carving bit that is installed, choose that option. It says finding bit, then "homing..." then stops and tells me to install the 1/16th bit that is installed...I don't know what to do...

HELP!!! please.

John Dolleslager

Did you push enter to tell it you have it installed?

Welcome to the forum. For some reason the machine thinks the bit is the wrong length. Watch the bit plate. See if is swings out all the way and that the bit actually touches it. If the bit does not touch the bit plate (can happen if z truck is sticky), then after the bit touches the board you will get the load bit. The error can also happen if the head is not cranked down all the way.

Try again and watch closely what the machine does.

4. Default

The bit goes below the board on the left, rises, then goes all the way to the left and goes up and down 3 times. I recorded it with my phone...not the greatest quality. http://youtu.be/dFVxj9mWi08

I am trying to figure this machine out...My Dad left it for me after he passed away. And I am struggling.

Your problem is the bit plate is not swinging out. The black bit plate that the truck hits when it goes all the way to the right should swing out under the bit. Then the bit comes down and touches it twice. Blow the dust out from the pivot. A little oil. Get it freed up so it flips out all the way.

6. Default

I will go try that.

To add what Dan has said, also check to make sure that the wires from the cut motor is not interfering with the back of the Z motor and not letting it move all of the way over to push the bit plate out.

Dirty Y rails and bearing will also cause extra drag to the Y truck.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Another thought is to remove the bit so the spindle is empty. The program should tell you to select a bit. When you do, push "enter" and it will tell you to load the bit, then go ahead and load it. I do also agree with Dan that the sliding plate needs to be blown free of dust and oiled a little...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

9. Default

I got it, thanks. WD-40 was the trick.

Next question...is there a link to download free patterns...I looked in that forum but it was massive.

Thanks again