Thread: small text whats better

Default small text whats better

small text what's better 60 deg or 90 deg

It's probably not the right way, but, I tell designer that I am using the 90 so it carves shallower, then I install the 60 so it doesn't carve as wide. The small letters in Dutch Oven below are 1/4 in tall. I am going to HD today, and will look for one of the narrower v bits mentioned in an earlier post this week - I think it was 22. It will be interesting to see the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1305.JPG  

yes a member showed the other day the nice job his 22.5 bit did ... he gets this bit from MLCS ..
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

4. Default

Interesting: I thought the more narrow the bit the shallower it carved so I have been selecting the 60 when I use the 45 or 22 degree bit. I will need to reexamine that thought. But if you are really looking for a good selection of V-bits, MLCS does well for me. Shipping is free and selection seems good although they are all 1/4 shaft (for the narrow). Had a bad experience with a bit adapter once and bit dropped down and did some damage. Have since gone to whiteside adapters that have 6 or 8 crimp slots plus a small rubber stop band that fits in a groove. Works similar to the CW pressed on adapter with the stop rim for keeping the bit at the right depth. It is a little better than the clear plastic ring from CW. Those adapters have never failed me since I started using them. The other tip I pass on that I have learned from experience is not all fonts seem to carve with the narrow V-bits. Some fonts (not many) will not carve part of a letter when using the narrow bit if reduced to a rather small size (usually in the 1/4 in size, +or-). Look at each letter and if you don't see all of the legs of each letter it won't show up on your carve. I found that if I enlarge the size slightly it usually corrects and all is fine.

I always just set my bit to 60deg and use that bit for small lettering. If you don't go deep enough you might lose something when you sand/mop the surface.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I doubt that Home Depot had that 22.5 degree bit. I have only seen them at MLCS. I need to try one too

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    It's probably not the right way, but, I tell designer that I am using the 90 so it carves shallower, then I install the 60 so it doesn't carve as wide. The small letters in Dutch Oven below are 1/4 in tall. I am going to HD today, and will look for one of the narrower v bits mentioned in an earlier post this week - I think it was 22. It will be interesting to see the results.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

I really like your website. I have made some similar items, though not as nicely done as yours. I have never used a "sand-mop"?

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    I always just set my bit to 60deg and use that bit for small lettering. If you don't go deep enough you might lose something when you sand/mop the surface.
    Clint
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

I tried my hand today at carving some small lettering using the 30 degree bit from Drillman1. Came out nice. However I think my font selection could have been better. Any suggestions on what font to use?
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340