Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

You should get the thickness message. The machine asks for the thickness because it cannot reach the sliding plate with a 14" plus wide board. If it could reach the sliding plate, it would test the thickness itself.

If you want to skip the holes, why not delete them from the mpc before upload?

Edit: I still do not understand why the bit broke last time. Good luck.
    Last edited by bergerud; 06-11-2015 at 09:44 AM.

I finally made the Universal Carrier and all I can say is I am thoroughly impressed by the carrier. It was easy to make, only took about 3 hours assembling and that included drying time for the glue. Great instructions!! It works like a charm. Never had a tracking error that I usually would get at least once when measuring a board or a board within a sled. You are a brilliant man coming up with the Universal Carrier Bergerud. Thank you for making it available to all of us through the pattern depot.

Great to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

4. Default

How to Jog . I have never used jog feature except to use the scan probe. I want to drill a hole in board at a specific spot Thanks Bert(I go 0 5 to open jog turn on and that is as far as I can get)

Quote Originally Posted by papawbummie View Post
    How to Jog . I have never used jog feature except to use the scan probe. I want to drill a hole in board at a specific spot Thanks Bert(I go 0 5 to open jog turn on and that is as far as I can get)
    I would just make a project on a really small Designer board with a hole drilled in the middle of it. Now when running the project on the machine (with UCB or not), when it asks to center on board, arrow down to jog instead. After bit measurements and such, just before the cutting starts, it will ask " jog to center or corner". Pick jog to center. Use the arrow keys to jog to where you want the hole.

I am having a problem with UCB. The last 3 projects I made with the UCB I am getting lines going down the carve 3.5" from the both ends of the project. The same problem I would have if I did not give myself the extra 7" of board. I have 2 machines and tried the project in both machines and the same problem happens. I have enclosed the pictures of the project. Please let me know what may be going wrong. Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5337.JPG  

You are giving the extra 7" all on same board?

When I tested the UCB in my machines, I found the base did not move up and down at all as the rollers roll off and on the ends of the board. I did get those lines once and it was because the board was not flat. The ends of the board were turned up and the board "rocked" in the carrier as the rollers rolled off of the ends. One has to test that the board will not do this. Place the board cup down or put some shims under the corners.

This could also happen, I suppose, if the rails are not adjusted parallel. Just make sure the board is solid on the rails.

If for some reason the carrier is moving in the machine (I hope it is not), one could lay 1/8" shims on the tops of the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by sunmiztres View Post
    I am having a problem with UCB. The last 3 projects I made with the UCB I am getting lines going down the carve 3.5" from the both ends of the project. The same problem I would have if I did not give myself the extra 7" of board. I have 2 machines and tried the project in both machines and the same problem happens. I have enclosed the pictures of the project. Please let me know what may be going wrong. Thank you
    If the board was moving in the jig or the jig was moving the lines would not be even. The ridges in the pic appear to be following the grain. Did you check for a loose Z or Y bearing? Or maybe dirty rails.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-08-2015 at 03:54 PM.
    Steve

I thought maybe the board was moving up and down as it goes through the rollers so I then used some nice straight Red oak on the 2nd try and got the same results. I placed a level on the rails of the UCB and it was coming back even. I could screw the board down and see if that helps. IF it does then I know the board is moving in the carrier. What do you think?

Steve I always make sure the rails are cleaned on the carrier. Is that what you mean, the rails the board lays on?

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast