Thread: Z axis stall E06-0324

Default Z axis stall E06-0324

I just finished a 10 hour carve on a brand new machine and on the cut path second pass around I got this code. I cleaned the machine out and tried again, no luck, same thing. Shut the machine down and did a really good cleaning. Tried loading a different project and the code won't clear. In the past just shutting the machine down and turning the machine back on would clear the code on my old machine. No dice this time. Any ideas?

First check that the z truck moves up and down smoothly by hand with the machine off. If so, next run the z test: 0 - 8 - 3.

It move easily with the power off. When I go to the test it errors out.

Watch it closely to see if it moves before the stall message. See if it twitches before the stall or just stalls without moving.

I can't even get it to go that far. As soon as I go to the test, or load another project it codes out. Sometimes it seems to twitch when I close the top door.

Does the x or y test work?

Yes, I ran those tests and they both work.

Ok, I would say the problem is most likely the FFC wire connections or the z encoder disk in the back of the z motor (a twitch before stall would indicate a loose encoder disc). First check the connections at each end of the FFC ribbon. It is the that flat ribbon wire that electrically connects the machine to the Z truck. Also look at other connections and look for any cracks or damage to the ribbon.

Do you have a DC unit on the machine? I had the same message early on and a small chip of wood was in between the bearings. I was only using a shopvac at the time.