Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pierced pattern didn't pierce ?

Red face Pierced pattern didn't pierce ?

Hi folks, I'm back! (after about 1.5 years ) I hope you all are doing well, and not tearing your hair out

I imported a bisected STL model Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-31 01_11_47-CarveWright - [xd9 01.mpc].png 
Views:	36 
Size:	706.3 KB 
ID:	75309(of my SA XD-9), and curious why it didn't pierce the pattern all the way through. The software showed the backside pierced. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-31 01_12_33-CarveWright - [xd9 01.mpc].png 
Views:	36 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	75308

For the next (pending cut), I went ahead and "Outlined Pattern" and chose the 1/8" bit with a -.063" offset to cut these out on the next ones -which is ok because I made some adjustments on this 3d model. is .25" per pass ok for that 1/8" bit? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-31 01_16_39-CarveWright - [xd9 01.mpc].png 
Views:	33 
Size:	615.3 KB 
ID:	75307 Is this the best way to do this cut out?

This is a 1:1 replica of my pistol that I will use as a mold for making my leather shoulder holster. I guess could also take it bowling (Mark it Zero, dude) -Just kidding, of course. Thanks guys/girls

I wonder if recalibrating the machine z depth would help. You put in a board of known thickness, the machine measures it and you key in the thickness.

Ohai bergerud. No, its not that. It's not even close. See here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (22).JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	460.8 KB 
ID:	75324

When I sliced the STL, I made sure to check "Carve to full depth", and in designer I've tried Pierced as well as setting my own depth. Just curious on this one. The worst part will be getting that full height chunk out of the trigger area. That one seems completely random. My newest 3d revision shows it gone in Designer, and I didn't touch that part.

Do you think my above remedy would be ok?

Thanks

Can you post the mpc? I could try to carve it.

xd9 01.mpc

Sure. The ones at top are regarding my original post. The ones on bottom I have potentially fixed with the outline pattern with bit function. Bottom are also modified for holster molding, as I've added parts to help the gun be pulled out of holster as well as a rod on top to act as a channel for the sights. You don't want to leave this out or the leather will start sanding down your gun sights.

And just stating the obvious, each side is a half a gun when glued back to back should make a 1:1 model of Springfield XD series. I haven't verified it's accuracy yet because I'm waiting for my 1/8" bandsaw blade to arrive.

Another obvious one, Berg. If you choose to route out the top ones with 1/8" bit, you might want to separate them a tad. Looks like I gave myself just enough room to get a band saw blade in there as it is. Fyi

This is what I will try and carve. Using the pattern in the top left, I made an out line, pierced and feathered the outline. Added some tabs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I gave the gun a try. The trigger guard was thin - should have used small draft. Unfortunately, my mdf was a few thousandths thinner than 3/4" and so the fact that it pierced may not mean too much. (Sorry but my main aim was to test the jig.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000901.JPG  

I did get it done and glued together. I ended up outlining it with the 1/8" bit and it came out good. Yes, the sides were .615" and .685" if I recall, so yours must have shortened the height from the bottom. My guard came out right. I'm at work right now, but I'll send a pic when I get back. There were some random hiccups where the bit took minor chunks out. Other than that it came out pretty good. I also made custom leather punch that worked pretty well. I used 3/4" MDF for all.
    Thanks

edit: I used no draft or feathering. At Best setting it took about 3 hours.

10. Default

Here are the pics of them both. That's a cool looking sled you got there. What are those protruding sides for?
    Edit: The punch I'll have revised better in future carvings. I think it came out well. The ones that get my approval will be carved on mesquite end grain. That should make em last.

Do you have a higher res photo of the gun? It kind of looks like yours came out more detailed than mine, but not sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (6).JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	687.0 KB 
ID:	75360
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	75361

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast