Thread: Lake Map project

Default Lake Map project

I would like to thank DickB for putting his you-tube together on how to use the CarveWright to create some really cool maps of lake bottoms. I admired Dick's work for a while and really appreciate him sharing this. The attached picture is of the first map I created. I really enjoyed building this project. In the future, though I think I will stay away from figured wood (this is spalted sycamore) as it tends to fight the look of the contours. I also think I could have blended the contours a little more to soften the contour transition even more. All in all, it was fun to learn and I hope I can find some time to do this more....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MirrorLakeMap.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	75373
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

That came out nice for a first time. I generally use a darker stain on the lake itself to provide some contrast.

I thought about that after I had put finish on the board, but will be sure to remember next time... Thanks Dick
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...