Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for getting cut motor brush cap off

I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Unfortunately it is more than just the cap that melted, the whole channel that holds the brush is melted and deformed. The brushes actually only have 92 hours on them, not sure what happened.
    Yes, very unfortunate! What condition was the brush in the melted side? It would be good to know what internal part failed?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

I had the very same problem after changing brushes. The brush channel melted and the cap was stuck. I had only about 60 hours on the new brushes. There was not an obvious short that I could see. Also the new brushes with 60 hours were wore almost as much as the ones I removed that had over 300 hours. I am not sure what caused this but wondered if maybe the black cap was not tight enough and caused a short.

is it possible the armature is worn and putting new brushes in is creating heat from the new brushes only partially contacting the worn area on the armature. Seems this has happened to more than just you based on comments. If there is only a small contact area on the new brushes they could possibly be getting hot due to the current draw being in a small area. The armature may need turning to provide a flat contact for the brush to sit on.
    A Series machine purchased in 2007
    had 30 minutes running time up till 2-13-15

Ring Neck Blues DC Insert (outstanding job keeping machine clean!), HF DC blower
    Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Pattern Sculptor, STL Importer, Scanning Probe, 2D Vector Drawing Suite, 3D Pattern Modeling Suite, Centerline text, Conforming Vectors, CarveTight Chuck, Decorative Bit set
    Universal Laser ILS series laser engraver with dual laser cartridges 135 watts total with 24" x 48" table and Class 4 module

My thoughts are dust getting sucked into the cooling slots near the brushes then throught the motor and out the muffler.... Excess dust getting between the brush and the spinning copper and causing a arc and the resulting heat that melts the brush holder.... The "ARC"...

So my questions are? Do you have dust collection? How much dust did you find inside the case?

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01462_WEB.jpg   DSC01461_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

the armature in the picture needs to be machined. It is worn down where the brushes contact it. New brushes on that armature will only have contact with the brushes at each end where the armature is worn until the brushes wear down to contact their full face contact area. That's what I was talking about exactly there. In automotive rebuilding that is a standard practice to machine starter and alternator armatures so they are flat across the width of the brushes. There's plenty of dust inside as you mentioned as well that isn't helping probably. I ran my machine yesterday 7-1/4 hours and the bag was clean when I removed it running a DC system.

Ring Neck Blues DC Insert (outstanding job keeping machine clean!), HF DC blower
    Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Pattern Sculptor, STL Importer, Scanning Probe, 2D Vector Drawing Suite, 3D Pattern Modeling Suite, Centerline text, Conforming Vectors, CarveTight Chuck, Decorative Bit set
    Universal Laser ILS series laser engraver with dual laser cartridges 135 watts total with 24" x 48" table and Class 4 module

I have a RingNeckBlues with a dust collector not a shop vac. My motor had about the same amount of saw dust in it as Al's picture. The 1st picture is of the good brush, seems like it is worn down alot for 92 hours. I have not taken the bad one out yet, guess I'll have to break the plastic to get it out. I apologize for the last picture the camera batteries were going dead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0213.JPG   000_0212.JPG   000_0210.JPG  

armature looks very rough where the brushes ride to me. It doesn't have a sunk in worn place from the brushes though. You should sand the armature down before putting that back together. Strips of emery cloth wrapped around where the brushes ride and smooth the rough places down. You don't want to sand flat spots into it which will create problems too. Think of the rough area as a file eating the brushes as it spins.

I have had the same problem, where the brush cap melted. Destroyed the cap getting it out, managed to save the motor housing. Does anyone know where I can get a new brush cap?

Here are pictures of the motors over the years, you can see the dates. So far I have retired one motor with over 1000 hours and 4 brush changes.... Went for a 5th and it looked too bad... Just swapped the Armature from a parts motor and was back up. I have 4 machines but only use one now and that one not since November...

Do you cut plastic? Lithos?

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03345_WEB.jpg   DSC01464_WEB.jpg   DSC01467_WEB.jpg   DSC01459_WEB.jpg  

DSC06261_WEB.jpg   DSC06242_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-30-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast