Thread: Bizarre: A hole is actually a line, and a Y-axis stall?

Thumbs down Bizarre: A hole is actually a line, and a Y-axis stall?

I asked my CarveWright to drill several holes in the front and back of a board. What should be a line of three 3/16 holes turned into this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150328_055326.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	75223

Three holes = 1 line? That starts at the right distance from the edge, but not where an actual hole is???

It began drilling with the 1/8" cutting bit (in the wrong location). It then proceeded to route out to the edge, which resembles absolutely nothing I asked it to do, and complain of a Y-axis stall.

The CW is running the latest firmware (checked today). What in the heck is this all about???

Can you post the mpc?

If there is nothing wrong with the mpc, I would blame corrupt firmware on the card. Format and re-flash the card, and try again. If it still does it, the next thing to check would be the FFC ribbon and the y encoder.

I got tired of not trusting my machine to work correctly in its Y position, so I did some checking yesterday.
    I did some sensor checks to move the Y-truck to see if I could get it to screw-up a position.
    I moved the truck several times and wiggled the FFC cable in several locations without much luck.
    I did find something interesting though; when touching the other wiring I got the Y position to change several hundredths.

I still can't figure out the problem; ordered another FFC cable and waiting for the humidity to increase.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Could be something as simple as a bad FFC Cable and the Z never lifted off the board....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Can you post the mpc?

If there is nothing wrong with the mpc, I would blame corrupt firmware on the card. Format and re-flash the card, and try again. If it still does it, the next thing to check would be the FFC ribbon and the y encoder.
    I've attached the file. I'll take a look at the router's innards. I assume Y is the axis that goes across the grain - is that right?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by 626Pilot View Post
    I've attached the file. I'll take a look at the router's innards. I assume Y is the axis that goes across the grain - is that right?
    Looks like the board is not staying under the rollers. I would drill that by hand. BJB

I think you would need some well adjusted OUT FEED rollers to make that work, it could snap your bit.
    Last edited by bjbethke; 03-28-2015 at 08:09 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by 626Pilot View Post
    Yes it is the y that goes across. If I were you, I would try a some simple projects and see if it misbehaves again before taking it apart. More information would help to trouble shoot if something is wrong.