Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimental Board Carrier

I was just playing last night with the 14.5" wide problem. I had 5/8" wide rails and I figured 14" was the best I could do even with under cutting to keypad side to go over the squaring plate. So, you may be right. I should give it a try again with the 1/2" wide sides.

I just tried the 14.5" width with my 1/2" wide sides and I could get it to measure if I moved the whole carrier 1/4" toward the keypad. So, if you under cut the bottom of the keypad side so the side fits 1/4" over the squaring plate, it should work. (I would try 3/16" first.) It can be done.

One could also just put a piece of electrical tape 1/4" onto the board on the right side so the machine measures 14.25". That way you can carve on the 14.5" board.

I'm somewhat following. Can you include a photo or two to help understand what you're getting at? Like where the electrical tape would be placed or what you mean by undercutting it/moving it a 1/4" toward keypad? I'm trying to follow just don't completely understand what you mean.
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

The tape would be the easiest trick. The machine does not measure the sides of the carrier because they are black. If you let the tape creep up onto the right side of the board 1/4", the machine would measure the board to be 1/4" narrower. Since you are probably not going to carve on the last 1/4", it should not matter.

(There is another idea here. The rollers are 17" long, so, a 17" wide board could actually fit in the machine. The machine could not measure it but it would fit. You could put black tape on each side 14.5" apart and the machine would think it was a 14.5" board. You would only be able to carve on the 14.5" region but the board would be 17" wide. (I will have to experiment with this. There may be a problem with the brass roller bob.))

By undercut the left rail, I just meant to saw or router out the corner so it would fit over the squaring plate. I did it to one of my early prototypes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails undercut.JPG  

Copy all. Thanks! That would definitely help when it comes to lumber yard materials. Sometimes wider/thicker than what you prefer so options are to pay more per board for ripping and planing or do it yourself which sometimes would mean for me ripping to 12" and under, planing, then gluing back up. Anyways thanks for this. Quite a thread going on here. Haha! Rise of the Machines!
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

I believe I can perform a 14.5" wide carving on a 16" or 17" inch wide board with the sandpaper rails put right to the top of the carrier sides. Would this be of interest to you sign makers? (A little slight of hand may be required to deal with the bob at the brass roller.)

I will do an experiment tonight to see just how wide I can go and how centered the carve region can be.

bergerud

Following your sled project closely and looking forward to a final design that I will make. The 17" wide board is something I would like to see. I believe you could carve most of the 17" width for 'some' projects if you would first carve 14.5 wide close to the left edge, then rotate the board 180 degrees and 'rotate' the 'second' pattern to carve along the ~2.5" blank portion. Would work OK for text and such I believe . . . just have to work out position alignment etc. ????

Interesting idea. It might be more trouble than it is worth. I was just hoping to get the 14.5 inch wide carve in the middle of a bigger board.

Here is an example of a 15" wide project carved on a 17" wide board. It can be done! This was the first try at putting the sandpaper rails at the top of the carrier sides and having the board go across the carrier. Not the most exciting project, just an experiment!

Precise line up would be difficult. It would be tricky to just have the pattern centered. (Actually, I do not think it can be centered on a 17" wide board. See how the black tape needed to be off center. It could be centered on a 16.5" wide board.) One could also carve it and then trim the sides to center it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010004.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Carrier Update

I have been working on a write up for what I am calling "The Universal Carrier Base" (UCB). I plan to become a vendor and put it on the CW site as a project next week. I have no idea how this is going to go, this is all new to me. Here is my cover page so far. I have 6 or 7 pages for the write up. (I could have made 10 of these things in the time it takes to explain it all!) Not only do I have to explain how to make it, but I also have to explain how to use it.

I have gone with the 1/2" MDF as opposed to the 5/8" MDF which I prefer since the 5/8" MDF seems hard to find. Trying to keep it simple. The main model (UCB 24) is long enough to hold 24" long boards. I will also include a 36" model. I figured I would label this as an Intermediate Level Project.

I am pretty excited about this. See the sign I cut in the y direction with no waste.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCB Cover.pdf   P1010072.JPG  

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast