Thread: Finishing

Default Finishing

Couldnot find a category concerning wood refinishing but I thought I'd try this.

Having a problem with a lacquer finish. I first sprayed the piece with Lacquer Sanding Sealer (Deft) and then applied lacquer. Everything fine thus far. Ran out of the Deft lacquer and bought some Watco lacquer from Lowes.
    Applied another coat and the pieces have milky white spots. I sprayed the Watco on another piece of scrap wood and it appears to have a milky white finish – see picture.
    So I’m assuming the Watco lacquer is bad or it interacted with the sanding sealer.
    But my concern is how to I get rid of the white spots – streaks mostly. I tried rubbing it with mineral oil but that didn’t do the trick. And the nature of the pieces is such that sanding does not fit the bill.
    Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cribbage.jpg  

You might try some denatured alcohol on a test spot to see if that might work.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I found this, not sure it will help.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Perhaps cleaning it with lacquer thinner and starting over? I have tried that on other projects and it cleaned up well.
    Woodpecker