Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crank Handle Problems - Is there an Epidemic going around?

Bergerud...

Ok. I must be missing something. I just looked at the A-machine and yes there was a washer and a split ring on each of the two posts.

Now, looking at the diagram on page 9 that washer (#152) goes between the spring and the handle.... and there is no way in H that is going to happen. If you put the washer on the outside of the handle the only thing it is going to do is shorten up how far the screw screws into the shaft. Is that what is suppose to happen?

Sharon,

You are right, your picture does not show any washers for the crank shaft. I edited your picture and the one from me showing where the thin washers go on the shaft.

Just for verification, the washers from the posts we are talking about are between the black end cap bottom and the top of the post. Sometimes they will stick to the grease on the top cap bottom.

The thin washers add force to the spring to put more pressure on the clutch plate. When you tighten up the screw on the crank handle the handle is fully seated to the end of the shaft because you are compressing the spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture a.png   crank shaft.jpg  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Floyd... I'll do more looking tomorrow to see if I can find those washers. Anything I've found so far will not fit over that part of the handle. Thank both you and Bergerud for trying to point me in the right direction. Like I said before... there needs to be a lot more documentation on how to preform this procedure and made readily available on the forum.

Sharon,

I guess we are sort of writing the documentation as we go here!

If all else fails if you have a fastener supply place near you like Fastenal https://www.fastenal.com/web/locatio...238!-171702638

they might get you close to what you need.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks Floyd for your help. Tomorrow is another day and plan to help the grandson carve his project using the A-machine. While he is doing that I'll see what I can do with the C-machine. Let you know how we come out. Sharon

Have a great day tomorrow!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

7. Default

I've also been having a crank problem that has been discussed on another thread. It was suggested that I too use those washers off the guide posts to put on crank shaft. I added washers to the screw that holds the handle because that is where they seemed to fit. Are you saying that the washers should fit on the crank shaft? Are they really large enough for that location?

These washers we are talking about have the same outside diameter as the guide posts of the machine. See post 22 washer 152 to see where they fit on the handle. They (if they are there) are sitting on top of the posts themselves. They are under the plastic cover. I think you have to dig a little deeper to find them.

Edit: I put one on a post and took a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000858.JPG  
    Last edited by bergerud; 03-05-2015 at 08:07 AM.

9. Default

OK, those are not the washers I thought I was looking for. I'll look again

I can't believe there's this much confusion over a simple assembly process. Take a close look at the drawing (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ist_manual.pdf page 9). Part number 152 (the same washer that is stored on top of the guideposts) is used on top of the spring of the crank mechanism When assembling the crank mechanism, put the spring over the shaft, put one or more of the washers (that were on top of the guideposts for storage) on top of the spring. Put the crank handle on and press down to compress the spring and turn it until it seats. While holding the crankshaft down put the screw with the lock washer through the crank handle and tighten.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-05-2015 at 09:31 AM.
    Steve

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast