Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crank Handle Problems - Is there an Epidemic going around?

Default Crank Handle Problems - Is there an Epidemic going around?

I think there is a rash of Crank Handle Problems going around. Is it the time of year or what.

At the moment the crank starts clicking almost inches from the top and almost impossible to get it to the bottom. Everything is well greased/oiled/cleaned. Took the bottom off and the rod moves back and forth like it should, those lower gears are well greased and I can move the head up and down and don't see anything binding (machine laying on it's back). This problem has been going on for a month or so but just kept getting worse until now it doesn't want to work at all.

I guess the next question is in the removal of the keyboard panel. Do I have to take the whole side off or does the top black panel lift off enough to inspect the crank mechanism. Also, in looking at the Parts List (page 9 of the parts list it shows a washer (#152) on the outside of the spring. On my C Machine (the one giving me trouble) that washer is on the back side of the spring and inside the metal panel.... is this a change since the parts list I have was printed (12/19)07)?

There are probably more questions but this is all I can think of at the moment. Back to the shop to do more exploring. Will check back soon. Sharon

Since you have the clutch handle off did you use compressed air to blow it out.

Sharon,

The same thing happened to me awhile back. In my case, the crank torque plate was broken. Probably as a result of tightening the screw when the handle wasn't in the correct position. To get to it you have to remove the side panel (Keyboard side) and disassemble the cranking mechanism. The crank torque plate looks like a small, thick washer with 2 bevels on one side. Part # 147 in the Assembly Guide and Parts List

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ist_manual.pdf
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-03-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    Steve

That's what I was afraid you were going to say....completely remove the keyboard side. Was hoping you could get to the mechanism without taking it completely apart. Guess it is a learning moment. Thanks though.

When taking off the key board side you do'nt have to take it completly apart lift up slightly on the panel so you can get over the rod and lean it back a little and you can move the ribbon out from its holder just be careful and when doing so, put the ribbon back in its holder carefully. it allows you room to clean the gear up.
    Last edited by aokweld101; 03-03-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: more text

As Henry said, you can get enough slack in the ribbon cables to disassemble the crank mechanism but, it is really easy to break or tear one of the cables (ask me how I know this). It is best to just unplug the 2 cables.
    Steve

Ok. Taking the side panel off was a lot easier than I figured. Even the cable came out easy. NOW, how in the heck do you get the mechanism out so you can see what is wrong? I haven't been able to find anything about removing it from it's location.... maybe a punch and a large sledge hammer? Any help pointing me in the right direction would be a great help.

ps: The only thing I find is the parts list and that does not help in the process of removal... especially for a person not very mechanical.
    pss: Sounds like LHR needs a video on the process of removal, inspection and flaws to look for regarding the crank handle inside unit.
    Last edited by SharonB; 03-03-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Turn the side panel over so the crank handle is facing up. Remove the screw, washer, and spring. Look closely at the end of the shaft and you will see that it has two flat sides. Use a small crescent wrench to unscrew it.

By the way, don't lose the two spacer washers at the top of each guidepost when you remove the end panel.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-03-2015 at 07:51 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    Ok. Taking the side panel off was a lot easier than I figured. Even the cable came out easy. NOW, how in the heck do you get the mechanism out so you can see what is wrong? I haven't been able to find anything about removing it from it's location.... maybe a punch and a large sledge hammer? Any help pointing me in the right direction would be a great help.

ps: The only thing I find is the parts list and that does not help in the process of removal... especially for a person not very mechanical.
    pss: Sounds like LHR needs a video on the process of removal, inspection and flaws to look for regarding the crank handle inside unit.
    This is the only thing close to getting to the crank http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...trol_panel.pdf
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks Steve.... I think the crescent wrench will work a little better than the punch and sledge hammer.
    Floyd... I have that PDF file. That is how I got to where I am at the moment. But it sure doesn't give a clue on how to remove the different parts so you can inspect them.

Will attach the problem again tomorrow. But I might be back on asking more questions. Thanks Sharon

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast