Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with designer 3 shortcut

Default problem with designer 3 shortcut

so i am having an issue with the designer 3 shorcut in windows 8.1. I get this error message. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carvewright error.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	74763 Is it the same as the gui.exe stopped working problem?? no matter which way i try to launch the program, I come up with this message.
    -Jason

that message is saying that the location that the short cut is trying to open is not correct. Try opening it from your start menu.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

if i go to the start menu, go to the app list and select designer 3 i get the same message. is there another way to access the app?
    -Jason

im digging into the anti virus and its saying the designer 3 program has a virus?? i unblocked it but am still getting the error messages. i am using panda cloud antivirus.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jab73180 View Post
    im digging into the anti virus and its saying the designer 3 program has a virus?? i unblocked it but am still getting the error messages. i am using panda cloud antivirus.
    you might have to delete all at add an remove and then re download it again
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

It sounds like your antivirus software has flagged the file "gui.exe" as a virus and either deleted it or moved it into a quarantine folder. You can put it back into its original location ("C:\Program Files (x86)\CarveWright3\gui.exe") but, chances are the antivirus software will just delete it again. Turn the antivirus software off and reinstall the Carvewright program. I am using Windows 8.1 also and I use a combination of the Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. Defender for Windows has been completely rewritten and is totally different than the Windows 7 version. It is quite good and Malwarebytes picks up anything that slips by. This combination is recommended by most IT pros (and ex-IT pros).
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-03-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    It sounds like your antivirus software has flagged the file "gui.exe" as a virus and either deleted it or moved it into a quarantine folder.
    thats just what happened. but now i cant find any of my old projects from designer 1. does designer 3 delete these files when it is installed? i backed up my files a little while ago, but i dont have them all. dang it.
    -Jason

If you installed version 3 without uninstalling version 1 then all of your patterns in the patterns list should still be there. If you uninstalled version 1 first then probably not. Always make a backup copy of the favorites file (C:\Users\YourUserName\CarveWright\favorites.mpn) before making any changes. Especially when installing a new version.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-03-2015 at 08:11 PM.
    Steve

Depending on what location you have your projects save to on the hard drive would determine if you lost them or not. You should never save anything into the CW program folder C:\Program Files (x86)\CarveWright as that is the operating system folder. Most everything in this folder is over written when you do a new install.

You should set up different CW folder in a different location. I have mine set up under the main documents folder.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Depending on what location you have your projects save to on the hard drive would determine if you lost them or not. You should never save anything into the CW program folder C:\Program Files (x86)\CarveWright as that is the operating system folder. Most everything in this folder is over written when you do a new install.

You should set up different CW folder in a different location. I have mine set up under the main documents folder.
    Thanks, that's what happened. Dang it.
    -Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast