Thread: cut motor speed problem

Default cut motor speed problem

So I have been trying to resurrect my old A machine using parts from a donated machine. Problem was that the cut motor would not run a steady speed. I changed the cut motor and the X termination board but no improvement. It sounds like it's on a wave, faster slower faster slower. What else could I try? RPM Sensor? I would try changing the controller but I know it has to be programmed first. Suggestions please.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

What happens if the rpm sensor is unplugged? You can swap the controller. Who cares if it has the wrong serial number?

Do a sensor check and see if the "A" threw a motor magnet....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Changed RPM sensor and controller, no improvement. Spoke with tech support, don't know what else it could be. I have tried 3 different cut motors with all the same result, so seems like it would not be the motor. Running the up to date firm ware, on a good circuit. Even tried a different flex cable. Any other suggestions?
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com

Could be a Cut Motor Power Wire Crimp connector loose crimp and under load it arc's internally in the crimp causing the studder speed. Since you changed the motor it should be the X termination board side of the wires.

Or the right side clear cover switch is dirty and arcing inside.

Did you do a Cut Motor Sensor check? Sensor Data and Cut Motor and move the chuck and every time the motor magnet goes by the sensor it counts 0000 0001 0002 0003.

Could be the circuit board that is the sensor cable side including the cable. If the computer does not see the 0001.... it will do that...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The only thing left is the power supply. It does not provide power directly to the cut motor but the 5V system does power the speed control circuitry.

Ok so I did the sensor check on the cut motor. I'm guessing you just turn the chuck by hand... it stayed on 0. Doesn't seem like it would be the sensor, I have tried 3 different motors with 3 different sensors that produced the same problem. So it's maybe the wires?
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com

When one disconnects the rpm sensor from a normal machine, does it pulsate? I do not think so. I will have to check, but I recall that the motor just runs full bore.

After changing the motor and trying a couple sensors I did get a response on the sensor check, but when doing a cut motor check it still sounds the same. However, I did the same test on my CS machine and it also changes speed, so this must be normal. I will try a small carving and see what happens.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    After changing the motor and trying a couple sensors I did get a response on the sensor check, but when doing a cut motor check it still sounds the same. However, I did the same test on my CS machine and it also changes speed, so this must be normal. I will try a small carving and see what happens.
    dehrlich you have a private message
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.