Thread: lithopones using 1/2" corian

1. Default lithopones using 1/2" corian

A while back somebody commented that he (she?) mostly used 1/2" Corian for lithos, saying it provided greater detail and more interest. I have some 1/2" white Corian that I would like to use, but wondered about depth and height settings for the 1/2" as opposed to the more commonly used 1/4" material that I normally use. I tried searching the forum for this post, but I was not able to locate it. Ant suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Ron

You're in luck.. I happened to see your post. And I have used both 1/4" and 1/2" corian to make lithos. Most of my 1/2" litho were made using a depth of .375 which should be the same ratio of using .185 for 1/4 inch corian if my math is correct. Check it out with your calculator I could be having a senior moment.
    This particular litho has a height of 666. Attached are two photos one showing without light and other with light. You can see the depth in both.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3737.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	74310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3735.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	74309

Canemaker, 1/2" litho. John what do you think would be the settings for 3/8" corian, I am looking at making
    a litho for a company around 6" x 12" for their company logo. I don't have any 1/4" that size.
    Perry
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Perry, Check your email account
    John

5. Default

I've carved a couple lithos now with 1/2" corian, and I am not happy with the lighting. I used a depth of .375 and a height of 900 and bit optimization at best, but the faces are so bright they are almost "unearthly"! I'm going to play with different settings.

When I change settings on the screen in Designer 2.007, the image is immediately very sharp, then suddenly blurs. What causes this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	75662

I've asked that same question before about the image being very sharp then suddenly blurs... and I was told by Begerud a Senior Member that:

Seriously, I think the flash of the clear image is actually the original real image. The software quickly calculates a WYSIWYG image that the machine can actually carve and displays that. The real image is too high a resolution for the 1/16" ball to follow so the machine shows you what the 1/16" ball will create.

7. Default

That makes some sense.

What about the issue with settings for 1/2" corian? Any suggestions?

try changing the default carving bit for the project to the 1/32" bit and see if you can see a sharper image in Designer. I did this a few days ago when someone had issue with poor carving quality with too small text and there was a noticeable improvement in the as displayed carving due to the smaller bit allowing for greater detail.
    A Series machine purchased in 2007
    had 30 minutes running time up till 2-13-15

Ring Neck Blues DC Insert (outstanding job keeping machine clean!), HF DC blower
    Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Pattern Sculptor, STL Importer, Scanning Probe, 2D Vector Drawing Suite, 3D Pattern Modeling Suite, Centerline text, Conforming Vectors, CarveTight Chuck, Decorative Bit set
    Universal Laser ILS series laser engraver with dual laser cartridges 135 watts total with 24" x 48" table and Class 4 module