Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Box

Default Toy Box

Here is a toy box I made for my youngest granddaughter, Aubrey. It was supposed to be for her first birthday. Now she is two and it will be a Christmas present! May still do a little more work on the carved pictures of Peter Rabbit. (My other granddaughters painted them.)

It is made from Garry oak which I milled from the tree. It warped a little so I may have to put some rubber feet under it. All curved parts were carved and cut out with the CW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000759.JPG   P1000760.JPG   P1000761.JPG  

Very nice work Dan, thanks for showing us, she will love it.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

That's Wow! Very nice hop my granddaughter don't see this. She has been after me to make one for my grate grand sons.

Bergerud that is such a beautiful box. Mind sharing your project...... ? My grandson would love that!

beautiful….how cool that your other granddaughters helped.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

One lucky little lady, the design is first class and the fact it also is a sitting bench adds to the functionality. Your painters did good and will surely add to the bond over the years.
    Thx for sharing,
    Rick H

Wow! really nice toy box she will love it.

Awesome job, very nice! Once piece of advice, when you make a wide unsupported panel like the lid, chances are it will warp at some point. I always put stiff backs (not sure what they are really called) under to prevent that (see pic). Make the screw holes slotted and don't use glue so it can move with the humidity. Never had a problem, been using this method for 20 some years of woodworking.

Oh, and I wouldn't "fix" the other girls painting... it adds character! Merry Christmas!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120726113749.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	577.3 KB 
ID:	73481
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Dan, I remember You saying something last year about keeping the little misses happy. It looks great she will like it. Aubrey has to be a universal gender name It happens to be my name and I'm male. (The baby book of names states it means.... ruler of the elves)... but I'm sure you knew that.

Thanks for the compliments. I am sorry Zan but it is not a polished CW project. It was a one off, design as you go type of thing. Here are the files for the parts I did use the CW on. (They were created in 1.187 and there are some floor feather anomalies if opened in later versions.) The tenons and edges were mostly done on a router table.

The lid is made of quarter sawn pieces which have been drying for 25 years and so I am hoping that it will not warp too much. Who knows, it is on its way to Alberta (as am I for Christmas) where the humidity is quite different than here on the west coast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 12-20-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast