Thread: Pen holder for desk plate. Tilted cone Pen Holder

Default Pen holder for desk plate. Tilted cone Pen Holder

I have searched all over the forum and could find nothing that seemed close.

What I am trying to do is make a tapered hole around 3/4 inch deep. It would start maybe from .5 inch tapering down to 3/16. Drill this in a block of wood and it would or should hold a pen or pencil nicely and make an easy quick xmas gift for many with a log and their name. Even better if there was a way to tilt it maybe 10 degrees.

I am sure there is a simple answer, but it escapes me.

Thanks in advance
    Roy Fleshman
    Professional Sawdust Maker
    www.woodfleshcom

Forgot to add this description. It would essentially be a cone shaped hole, roughly the profile of the first .5 inch of a typically pen.
    Roy Fleshman
    www.woodfleshcom

Draw a circle, make it a carve region, add depth and draft? Or feather instead of or in addition to the draft.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Thanks UC! Very simple with the feather. I had added depth but the feather did the trick. I am not sure where to add draft or even what it means. Can you elaborate.

Thanks
    Roy Fleshman
    www.woodfleshcom

He's talking about the bevel on the edge of a pattern. If you right click on a pattern there a draft category which allows you to pick small, med, large, or none which puts a bevel on the edge of a pattern or text. The symbol looks like an upside down T
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Fleshman View Post
    I have searched all over the forum and could find nothing that seemed close.

What I am trying to do is make a tapered hole around 3/4 inch deep. It would start maybe from .5 inch tapering down to 3/16. Drill this in a block of wood and it would or should hold a pen or pencil nicely and make an easy quick xmas gift for many with a log and their name. Even better if there was a way to tilt it maybe 10 degrees.

I am sure there is a simple answer, but it escapes me.

Thanks in advance
    I would use the CW carving bit in a hand Drill. You could make the 10 degree Tilt and then use a Tapered Carving Burr for the top of the drill hole. I use 1/4 inch air tools to do that kind of stuff, works great.

Dura-GRIT has nice tools for hand carving, clean-up on CW carvings. They also have a sanding blade for the Scroll Saw that really works great. There tools are long lasting. I have been using mine for the past four years. Cost is a little high.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Half inch reemer.PNG   Carving Burrs.pdf   http___www.duragrit.pdf  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 12-13-2014 at 08:13 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I'm not sure if this is what you want but it's the way I understood it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks everyone, I learned a few techniques and terms, picked up some tips and locations for bits.
    Roy Fleshman
    www.woodfleshcom

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. I used the "Revolve" tool on a .5" circle. If you are trying to drill a tapered hole at an angle, I don't think the Carvewright can do that. It would require a machine with more than 3 axes (plural of axis).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 12-14-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    Steve