Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trials and tribulations of a new user.......

re squawking - all bearings seem to be OK, Carvewright suggested lubing the x drive gears, did so and it still does the same.

Re two sided carves, tried the drilling hole alignment idea and it was fine, on two subsequent carves, being careful to make sure I was flipping the board properly, same problem, it was off by over an inch. I must be doing something wrong,just can't figure it out.

mjc

You need to post the Designer file (.mpc) for us to have a look at.

3. Default

I like that drill hole idea for reference. I'll use that, thanks.

It's a modification of the basic frame in the Feb 2009 Tips and tricks hope it gets attached......
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you have the 3D Advanced add-on this may be a better solution. I used the "Sweep: Corner" tool on the back and put the recessed area for the picture on the front as a pocket cut.

EDIT: Also, if the bit is cutting too deep in one pass it can cause X or Y axis slippage.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 12-02-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    Steve

I don't see anything unusual with your mpc. Can you post a picture of it being over an inch off? It may help to know exactly where it is off.

I do not see anything really fundamentally wrong with the mpc. If you really are flipping the board properly (not end for end), you may have a hardware problem with the machine.

Use the machine to just measure the length of a board. See if it measures ok.

I'll try some board measuring tomorrow when I get in the shop, haven't had a chance today, but looking at some older forum postings and reading a couple tips and tricks I may have found something. I don't recall for certain but if I had inadvertently told the machine that the board was in a jig, could that have thrown it off? Not sure that was what I did, but it's possible, as I know me and that is just the kind of thing that I'm capable of doing.... Plus it has worked fine on some other single sided carves.

Well the two sided carve issue is pretty much solved - user error, was the culprit - as I was wondering last night, I apparently told the machine that the board was in a jig, and that changes everything. I should have called this post, gaffs and blunders of a new guy. So far my carvewright journey has been interesting I've had the machine since 2009 and just started using it, for years I let the software intimidate me, now that I'm getting my feet wet I am learning that it's a pretty cool tool, that has a lot of idiosyncrasies to learn. I'm guessing this won't be the last issue you hear about from me.

Thanks for everyone who helped.

Also to give credit where it's due, the drill hole to check the alignment on the back side of two sided carves came from digitalwoodshop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12