Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: immporting a stl

Default immporting a stl

I have this candy dish that it seems forever to figure out. I know that I have to import into the STL to splice into 2 pieces but my question is how do I get the image to look like a stl to splice ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails candy  bowl 6.PNG   candy dish 7.PNG  

The CW software cannot do what you want to do. Sculptor and Pattern Editor cannot export "closed" surfaces. The only thing I think you could do is export the top and bottom separately and then "weld" them together in another 3d graphics program.

That being said, I do not think you really need to use a full 3d "closed" surface to get the end result you want. (I assume you just want to carve the dish in two halves. Two double sided slices.)

If you can post your two dish patterns as .png grey scales, I will play with how to do it. (File - Export to Image in the Pattern Editor)

I just talked to LHR and as much as I don't want to, too do a STL you have to learn a third party software. It took two years to feel comfortable with the programs have.

Aokweld, I'm real confused about what you are trying to do here.

You have the dish in an .mpc file & a .ptn? You want to recreate it in a 3rd party software to get it as an STL to slice and bring back into Designer and make it a .ptn?

Not sure why, but you could export it using Pattern Editor & STL Importer, then bring it in with STL Importer make it bigger and slice it.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

The problem, Connie, is that the inside and the outside are 2 different mpc/ptn files. To slice it, the 2 have the be combined into a 3D object the can be rotated and seen from both sides.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I guess I do not see the problem here. This looks like a 2 sided carve. Place one on one side of the board and the other on the other side. Center each pattern both ways and carve. Making sure you have the necessary 3.5+++ on each side of the pattern.
    Are both patterns the same size?
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

what Ed said sounds like it can be done that way... sometimes... the easiest solution is the hardest !.. what I'm having problems conceiving with this is the outside curve to the bowl.. and doing the cut out..
    Last edited by aokweld101; 11-21-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Depends on how deep the bowl is. If no deeper than .8, a 2 sided carve will do with 1.187. If deeper then you will need 2 of newer and a long bit. He asked originally about slicing. Can only do that with a 3D object that you can rotate and see all views.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

An item such as this would be a two sided carve. It wil be up to the person doing the carve to place manual tabs to hold the item in place while carving. I have found out this is one of my patterns. Therefore you nor anyone else can edit it, or use sculptor on it, let alone do anything using the STL importer. With that said I do believe I presented this pattern as a top and a bottom to be carved as I mentioned (two sided manual tabs),But I also believe I presented it with the STL 3d model so anyone could do with it as they choose. In this case I do not know if AOK is using the stl or the PTN files. If just the PTN files, then use it as 2 sided with manual tabs.
    Cestout, the two will carve as shown. The top has a rounded edge, the bottom was sliced to the tip of the rounded edge. Therefore when carving both sides when it is cut from the board it will be a complete candy dish, with some sanding on the edges to make it perfect.
    AOK there is no need for the cut path tool to be used. Manual tabs are required, no cut path, so no cutout.
    Last edited by eelamb; 11-21-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Ok now that I know it was one I made, here is what I gave to those to down load.
    #1 and MPC file with the candy bowl showing manual tabs, and 2 sided carve.
    #2 PTN file of top and bottom (2 ptn files)
    #3 to AOK only the stl file.
    So everyone can carve this candy bowl for the holidays here is the mpc file in 1.187
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails candy bowl r.jpg   candy bowl r1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Eddie

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast