Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jagged carve with sweep tool

Default Jagged carve with sweep tool

I ran into this when attempting to use the sweep tool. When you create a shape using straight lines and the lines aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical you get a "jagged" looking line in designer. When I then used the sweep tool on that shape as you see in the picture the jaggedness is carried over into the sweep and even exaggerated. I carved the piece just to see if it was an artifact of how it is displayed in the gui or if it actually would turn out that way on the wood and it does indeed carve just like it looks in designer. I tried a couple of different things to see if I could get around it. I changed the form on the line to spline and to arc to see if I could get a less jagged version of the line, but I still couldn't get a smooth line. (although I did get some new shapes that will look pretty cool on another carve) does anyone know haw to smooth out the sweep other than with sandpaper?

dave
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rose cross.PNG 
Views:	67 
Size:	453.0 KB 
ID:	72421

Can you send us the .mpc? What version of designer are you using?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    I ran into this when attempting to use the sweep tool. When you create a shape using straight lines and the lines aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical you get a "jagged" looking line in designer. When I then used the sweep tool on that shape as you see in the picture the jaggedness is carried over into the sweep and even exaggerated. I carved the piece just to see if it was an artifact of how it is displayed in the gui or if it actually would turn out that way on the wood and it does indeed carve just like it looks in designer. I tried a couple of different things to see if I could get around it. I changed the form on the line to spline and to arc to see if I could get a less jagged version of the line, but I still couldn't get a smooth line. (although I did get some new shapes that will look pretty cool on another carve) does anyone know haw to smooth out the sweep other than with sandpaper?

dave

What you are experiencing is called "aliasing". When the software attempts to correct it it's called "anti-aliasing". The computer cannot draw a diagonal line between pixels on the screen. It draws straight lines either horizontally or vertically between the pixels and the amount "jaggedness" is determined by the resolution of your video card and monitor. It also can be determined by how the software is written and how much programming effort was taken to minimize the effect. However, programming has its limits and can only go so far with low resolution graphic cards and monitors. As my grandfather would say, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-24-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    Steve

dave

I saw on Facebook that you carved it. Did it have the jaggedness when carved? Or is it like Steve said, just a graphics card issue?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    I saw on Facebook that you carved it. Did it have the jaggedness when carved? Or is it like Steve said, just a graphics card issue?
    Yes, as noted in my first post, I carved it to see if it was just the screen rendering or not. It carved just like it looked on the screen with the jaggedness. If it had carved fine I wouldn't have bothered to post.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Can you send us the .mpc? What version of designer are you using?
    Here is the file. I am using designer 3.101

rose cross.mpc

Here is the file. I am using designer 3.101

rose cross.mpc
    It is definitely aliasing. If you straighten one of the lines that make up the cross to exactly horizontal or vertical the jaggedness goes away. I have a high end graphics card and it's doing the same for me so it looks like the Designer isn't handling it very well and I don't know if it will carve as shown on the screen without a test carve.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-24-2014 at 07:03 PM.
    Steve

Sweep and rail sweep have always been this way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jags in Sweep.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, as noted in my first post, I carved it to see if it was just the screen rendering or not. It carved just like it looked on the screen with the jaggedness. If it had carved fine I wouldn't have bothered to post.

dave
    Hi Dave,

Would you mind taking a photo (or two) of the finished carve and posting them? I want to see how the carve came out with the 'stepping'. Also, do you recall what the quality setting you used when you uploaded to the memory card (Normal-Best-Optimal)?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Dave,

Would you mind taking a photo (or two) of the finished carve and posting them? I want to see how the carve came out with the 'stepping'. Also, do you recall what the quality setting you used when you uploaded to the memory card (Normal-Best-Optimal)?
    Sure, I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home. I carved it at best.

dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast