Thread: 1/16 v 1/8 v 3/16 Carving Bit Quality

Default 1/16 v 1/8 v 3/16 Carving Bit Quality

I need to do several large carvings in hard maple and to cut down the time, I'm considering a different carving bit than the 1/16". According to LHR bit selection, the 1/8" is only for soft wood or foam, so that rules it out. I'm considering the 3/16" bit was curious of the quality of the final carve. I realize there will be some sanding required to clean it up, but has anyone had good results using it? If so, any precautions or advice to take ahead of time?

Thanks in advance.
    Tracy

World's largest supplier of custom carved firewood.

I used the 3/16 carving bit on 8 chair seats out of maple. Actually carved 16 pieces and joined them together. Cut the time down by a lot and came out quite well. Still required some sanding but not bad. Not much detail in the chair seats other than a contour for one's backside, so not sure if they can compare to your proposed project....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I've used the 3/16 bit on several projects and like it.

dave

If you have Designer 2.007, you do have the 1/8" carving option. Just pick the 1/8" long ballnose. I am not sure how mush faster it would be but that would be easy to check.

I have used the 3/16 bit many many times and use it most of the time now .. On very small carvings you MAY lose a little detail. But you can select the bit before carving and have a look at the carving before you carve it ..
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Thanks for all the responses. I ordered the 3/16th carving bit and will give it a try. There isn't much detail in what I'm trying to carve, it's for a project similar to a corbel, just 42" x 15". I'll post a photo when completed along with the mpc. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the rounded areas to look good. I've got 2.07, the 2D & 3D add ons. Can't get either the rail or sweep to look the way I want.
    Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I've used the 3/16" carving bit quite a few times on larger projects like what you describe as being similar to a corbel. I've been very pleased with the output from the CW and the time savings is considerable compared to the 1/16' carving Bit. About all I have used afterward is a 200 grit sanding mop to clean up the threads and fuzz after the carve. Even though it is a round tip bit it still does a decent job on carve areas to produce a flat surface.

A question. Does your design use any engraved areas that would benefit from being made as pocket cuts where a vector pattern can guide a larger bit like a 1/4" straight bit? Or the same for lines (grooves) that could be vector cut with a 1/4" round bit or larger. These can save you quite a bit of time. Just for what it's worth.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Thanks for the info Capt Bruce. There may be opportunities to make pocket cuts and I'll be exploring that possiblility as I progress with the design. I've got to do 8 of these so anything to shorten the carve time is welcome.

I know others have requested that LHR incorporate a pocket tool in the software, I for one would like to see it. But for now, I'll just need to make offset paths.
    Tracy

Glad we could help ... That bit cuts carving times by more than half onb moist projects ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

You are most welcome Tracy,

Any time we can be of help, just ask. Michael Tyler did most informative videos on Pocket Cuts and we can assist you in laying these out the easy way.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers