Thread: Another inlay question/challenge

Default Another inlay question/challenge

I was watching this video and I started wondering how could this be done using the CW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=oUNMJtBarsY

It seems so easy on the Shapeoko...

So I started trying to replicate on Designer, starting with an outline of my dog, which I imported from a DXF file. I made sure all tight curves could be cut with the 1/8 bit.

My thought was to make a carve region from the outline, which could be made faster if we had an easy to implement pocket function, and then use the a second on top of the first one outline and assign the 1/8 bit and cut on the inside of the path to clean up the slope left over by the carving bit.

The next step would be to use the same path, on a contrasting colour wood, cut on the outside of the line to create the inset portion of the carving. This should fit in the "pocket" created above.

I hope that I have explained this in enough detail. If I have not, just watch the video and see if you can figure out an easy way to do this with the CW.

Attached is the file I've been playing with. It has all components on one piece of wood so I can see the relationship between the different operations, but like I said above, the inset cut would be done on another piece of wood. You can try hiding and unhiding the paths to see their relative cut positions.

Thanks a lot.

...Peter

LabInset.mpc

Nice Video... I will let the pro's handle the answer.... I love the FEED RATE option that the machine has.... In my opinion it would be a Game Changer to add that option.. I put it on the level of the 2 inch bit.... Something to add to a new De$igner...

I don't have DXF yet.. But I believe the key here for the CW is to make the inlay size changes in COREL DRAW and bring it in a 2 DXF files.... And to NOT use Carve Region... One file having gradiant vector lines to cut the pocket... AND LIE to the machine and tell it 3/8 inch bit and use a 1/8th so slow the feed rate.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-01-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al, if you do a carved region then outline the pattern use that to square up the sides with a cutting bit and copy that outline top another board and cut it out inset -1/8 or -1/16 depending on your cutting bit. The piece from the second board should fit nicely in to the hole in the first. I been thinking about it. You, I think, did something similar years back inserting a white "Mare and Floe" into a darker piece then carving that. We have come a long way since then.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Thanks Al, I think that lying about the bit size is a good tip to get a smoother cut. Also not using a carve region sounds like good advice for reducing carve time.

Also thank Cestout for your suggestions. I will try your method combined with Al's suggestion. In theory it should work fine, we'll see how it comes out in practice.

...Peter

I forgot to mention that you have to set your bit optimization to best so the carved region top edge is the correct size. Going around the edge with the 1/16 bit is to remove the 7deg taper from the carving bit. I am working an such a project right now. An inlay person wants me to inlay into the top of a box that he has already placed inlayed borders. He was just here looking at my progress in pine test carves and want's me to add even more detail (inlays in the inlays). I will send photos when I am done. It will be a while. But the system does work. I used 2 sided tape for the inlay pieces in the sled.
    Clint

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    I forgot to mention that you have to set your bit optimization to best so the carved region top edge is the correct size. Going around the edge with the 1/16 bit is to remove the 7deg taper from the carving bit. I am working an such a project right now. An inlay person wants me to inlay into the top of a box that he has already placed inlayed borders. He was just here looking at my progress in pine test carves and want's me to add even more detail (inlays in the inlays). I will send photos when I am done. It will be a while. But the system does work. I used 2 sided tape for the inlay pieces in the sled.
    Clint
    Thanks Clint, I haven't got around trying it out yet.

I would love to see some pictures when you do the box.

...Peter

Here are the inlay pieces in a pine to show him for approval before I cut into his box top. The box is for a priest who was just ordained. He is happy with it so far and said to put it in the box top. Well he will put it there, I am just doing the cutting. For the little detail stuff I used a 60deg V bit and a depth of .01. The lettering is also a 60deg bit. I contact cemented 1/8" luan and birch plywood into a sled. It had to be well attached because the firmware chose to do the cut out before the V bit stuff. I used a 1/16 cutting bit inset .013 around the edge of the carved out area and inset -.013 for the inlays. Getting everything in place took a while, but the actual cutting was quick. Shown are the drawing I worked from and product.
    Clint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails for Joe002.jpg   for Joe 001.JPG