Thread: roller compression switch

Default roller compression switch

Two for one. I'm unable to correct a sticky left side compression roller switch. Can it be field replaced? Secondly, when I raised the cover to stop a carving, the cut motor quit but the back and forth did not so I had to shut the machine of to stop all activity. Where do I start on this problem?

2. Default

the sticky left side compression roller switch can be cleaned in most cases. remove keypad side cover, be carefull not to damage or cut the ribbon cable to the keypad. Blow out the switch with compressed air while lifting and releasing the roller by hand. See this post for pics.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ression+switch

As for the cover issue there are two switches one on each side of the cover. One is not opening with the cover. Check the switches sometimes they are just loose or sometimes you can slide it a little and tighten the screws so it makes better contact. Others have added some tape or glue to the plastic tab that hits the switch on the cover.

Cover switch, it is highly recommended that you use the "stop" button to pause a carving. Only press it once to pause the carving. The problem with raising the clear cover to stop or pause a carving is that it takes longer for the computer to react to the switches being opened. By using the stop button it sends the command to the computer and all operations are halted at the same time.

The compression switch can be changed out. You do have to remove the keyboard side cover. You problem might be just a dirty switch or even a bend contact. Below are the links to the side panel removal and the cleaning of the compression rollers. You can remove the 2 screws to drop the roller end down to get a better look at the switch.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...trol_panel.pdf

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ng_rollers.pdf
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Two for one. I'm unable to correct a sticky left side compression roller switch. Can it be field replaced? Secondly, when I raised the cover to stop a carving, the cut motor quit but the back and forth did not so I had to shut the machine of to stop all activity. Where do I start on this problem?
    Raise the head to near the top. Manually compress the roller and use LIGHT air pressure to blow out the sawdust in front of and behind the rubber washer on the left (keyboard) side. Do the same for the other roller. If that doesn't work you will have to remove the keypad side cover to blow out the sawdust that builds up and keeps the roller from uncompressing. The document that Floyd suggested explains this in detail.
    http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ng_rollers.pdf
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-16-2014 at 12:58 AM.
    Steve

I've had both problems .. With the cover switches I found them useless so I bypassed them, so my cover has no effect now .. The roller switches most times can be cleaned with compressed air.. When cleaning doesn't work I compressed the roller by hand and make sure it moving up n down and also watch what the contact part of the switch is doing. If it appears that the contact is stuck I use needle nose pliers n gently bend them back into shape checking them regularly until I see that there working properly ... Both are very easy fixes ..
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Could be a dirty left cover switch and it could be a dirty roller switch... but the common thing is the supply voltage... This could be a electrical power problem something as simple as a pinched board sensor wire. Any board sensor problems? See you joined in 2007, does your machine have the 14 pin FFC Cable upgrade or the old 2007 18 pin? That can cause this too... a shorted wire.

Use care when you remove the left keyboard side as you can rip the keypad wires. The released roller rests on a plate and dust can build up on that plate and when the roller is released it rests on that plate and with a layer of dust, the tang from the switch can't fall into the slot showing released.

Since bypassing the left switch was mentioned, I want the NEW Guys to see this so they won't think it is OK to bypass Safety Switches. We are all big boys here and can do what we want. Do some research before bypassing the cover switches especially the right side cut motor switch. The broken C1 Capacitior in the X Termination board when vibrated like when changing a bit can cause the cut motor to start up... With the right side switch bypassed you could join the 9 digit club like they had at Sony where I worked. I had 3 broken C1's on 4 machines.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01043_WEB.jpg   DSC01044_WEB.jpg   DSC01040_WEB.jpg   DSC03367_WEB.jpg  

DSC07811_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com