Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intermittent problems

I think you complained in an earlier post about the squaring plate being too low and suggested bending up the ends. You said it was too easy for the board to slide on top of it. Since no one else has a problem with the board sliding up onto the squaring plate, it seems like something must be wrong with your squaring plate. The tracking sensor (brass roller) is attached to the squaring plate and so tracking problems could just be another symptom. The top of my squaring plate is about 3/16" above the rubber belts. I suggest that you look at the rubber belt installation document:

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...drive_belt.pdf

Pages 8,9, and 10 show how the parts are shimmed with washers to deal with the thicker rubber belts. The shims raise the squaring plate and move the brass roller away from the belt. Also, you will see that the rubber damper gets a washer under it. Make sure that your parts have been properly shimmed.

I now have a slew of new problems, which have all cropped up in the past week:

* On one job, it started shallower than I set it to carve, then got deeper as it progressed.
    * On another job, it managed to progress far enough towards the keypad, & go deep enough, to come right out of the edge of the board & begin cutting into the mount for the brass roller.
    * It consistently measures 6' boards at about 1.5" shorter than they actually are, & 45" boards about 1" less.
    * On another job, at the board thickness measurement stage, the bit did not go all the way down to the board but I let it proceed & it still started cutting at the right depth [I presume!].
    * On another job, on a project set to cut at .7" deep, it gave itself 3 passes to do the job, but the day after, when I repeated the same project, unchanged, it tried to do it all in one pass, & was working hard [I stopped it].
    * On another job, carving a sign, it did about 10 letters fine, then carved one that was about an inch closer to the top of the board, then did the next one at the right level.

Quote Originally Posted by pqkenai View Post
    I now have a slew of new problems, which have all cropped up in the past week:

* On one job, it started shallower than I set it to carve, then got deeper as it progressed.
    * On another job, it managed to progress far enough towards the keypad, & go deep enough, to come right out of the edge of the board & begin cutting into the mount for the brass roller.
    * It consistently measures 6' boards at about 1.5" shorter than they actually are, & 45" boards about 1" less.
    * On another job, at the board thickness measurement stage, the bit did not go all the way down to the board but I let it proceed & it still started cutting at the right depth [I presume!].
    * On another job, on a project set to cut at .7" deep, it gave itself 3 passes to do the job, but the day after, when I repeated the same project, unchanged, it tried to do it all in one pass, & was working hard [I stopped it].
    * On another job, carving a sign, it did about 10 letters fine, then carved one that was about an inch closer to the top of the board, then did the next one at the right level.
    To bad you don't have some one near you that known of the machine and go and help you out , what is your location ?
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Default Intermittent problems

Dirty encoder? Damage to tracking roller?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

You have so many different problems. Each, by itself is a trouble shooting challenge. The things which cause multiple problems, as far as I know are:

1. No dust collection. The fine dust goes everywhere and fouls many things up.

2. Corrupt software. Reformat and reflash the card.

3. Intermittent wiring connections can confuse the computer. A bad FFC ribbon.

Could you post some pictures of your machine? Especially the area near the brass roller.
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-05-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pqkenai View Post
    Anyone got any ideas on the causes of the following?:
    [1] Halfway through a project, the head comes to a halt, always raised,with the bit still spinning. Once, pushing stop & enter got it going again, but usually it takes no notice, just remains stationery with the cut motor still going.
    [2] X-axis belts coming up to speed slowly when measuring the board.
    [3] During board measuring, part-way along, x-axis begins alternating direction, faster & faster.
    [4] An occasional deep hole in raster mode - a single plunge by the 1/16 bit.
    WOW... Looks like a bad FFC Cable since the computer did not know the z was cutting the Brass Roller holder...

My suggestion is to select the troubleshooting thread and spend some time reading the all the Z Problem Threads.... The answers that are going to fix your machine will be posted many times over and over... FFC, Dirty Z Encoder, Clear Encoder Wheel spinning on the shaft, Bad Z Roller Rail bearing, Flex catching the black cover on the up stroke.

Let us know what you find.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-05-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12