Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear Board Sensor

Default Clear Board Sensor

I am getting the famed Clear Board Sensor. After talking to a person at Carvewright, I replaced the sensor, I get a sensor reading of 151. While looking through the menu at other things I noticed Edge Detection Error E03 - 0400. I have tried putting a better light above it as some people suggest (the reading of 151 suggests that this is not the problem). The firmware at this time 1.182.09788 seconday revision 7. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrupri57 View Post
    I am getting the famed Clear Board Sensor. After talking to a person at Carvewright, I replaced the sensor, I get a sensor reading of 151. While looking through the menu at other things I noticed Edge Detection Error E03 - 0400. I have tried putting a better light above it as some people suggest (the reading of 151 suggests that this is not the problem). The firmware at this time 1.182.09788 seconday revision 7. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.
    Check for pinched wires going from the board sensor up to the circuit board on the back of the truck.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Load a wide board in the machine and crank the head down. Go to the sensor check for the board sensor reading and observe the reading as you move the head across the board. The reading should stay constant across the board. If it jumps around or drops to zero it is probably a break in the FFC cable. Most common spot is right at the black support bracket.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I did as you suggested, placed a nice 11 1/2 wide board in the machine and went to the sensor read out, the reading stayed at 144 to 145 across and back several times dropping to zero as it cleared the edge of the board. When I hit stop, the Edge Detection Failed Err E03-0400 came up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrupri57 View Post
    I did as you suggested, placed a nice 11 1/2 wide board in the machine and went to the sensor read out, the reading stayed at 144 to 145 across and back several times dropping to zero as it cleared the edge of the board. When I hit stop, the Edge Detection Failed Err E03-0400 came up again.
    Did you check for pinched wires?
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Likely it is a bad FFC Cable. Another test is to place the head in the middle of the board and with your hand move the FFC Cable gently. Due to the design of the FFC Cable being FLAT copper in plastic, it can snap wires then touch and not touch as it is moved and is very hard to catch... Replace the cable.... You should always order a FFC Cable with a board sensor and cut motor brushes too....

And I even recommend buying 2 board detectors and one of the 4 wire board sensor cables as it is common to get a intermittant pinched wire as you tug the board sensor cable down to change the sensor. 3 or my 4 machines had this fault as the wires get pinched on the side of the sharp edge of the wire track and cause problems from zero readings to a open cover when the 5 volts gets shorted to ground.

You can use the extra cable for troubleshooting, plugging in a new sensor on top to test for a short. Also a bear wire on the FFC Cable can touch the fins of the Y and cause ZERO readings too.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08501_WEB.jpg   DSC08506_WEB.jpg   DSC08491_WEB.jpg   DSC08510_WEB.jpg  

DSC08502_WEB.jpg   DSC08505_WEB.jpg   DSC08500_WEB.jpg   DSC03367_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-10-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Okay, I have to upgrade my machine to the 14 pin Z-Motor Bundle to replace the FCC cable and Head Connector Board, I also ordered two new board sensor cables, what the heck, a spare Board Tracking Encoder Assembly also. Hopefully all this will correct the problem.

Make sure to change the 2 circuit boards too as the wider 14 pin will short out the older 18 pin socket and smoke your computer... $300.00 + fix...

And the machine will start up in Scan Area and you will need to go in and select Cover as the source for the Probe Data from the Truck. Until then you can't move forward in the software.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Yes, the upgrade covered that. When I went to purchase the FCC cable I seen the warning not to purchase the 14 pin cable for the A machine so I called them. I then found out by looking at a PDF file that I had the 16 pin cable and you can not purchase the 16 pin cable any more so I had to buy the upgrade bundle which I did. Thank's

Good job... And remember the machine will be locked in "scan area" until you change the setting after you change the circuit boards.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast