Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting bit losing orientation, carving bit skipping large lines - see pics

Default Cutting bit losing orientation, carving bit skipping large lines - see pics

So last week I decided to carve a Navy Chief anchor with a few cutouts out of a piece of sapele. (1/16 carving bit) Carving went smoothly and beautifully, I changed out the bit (1/8 cutting bit) and on the machines last pass it cut the top of the pattern straight through the center of the plaque and ruined it. Asked a few people and talked to LHR checked head pressure, seemed a little high (92 lbs) so I went through the steps of lubing the clutch assembly with white lithium grease according to directions underneath the crank handle and went through calibration steps entirely. Carved another plaque which I've done before, silhouette of Louisiana with some details in sapele, went well. Today I loaded a piece of cypress to cut out some car show plaques and noticed during the carving portion that there was a "skipped" spot where raised lines were not carved (see pics), I figured I'd let the carving finish running it's course and when it was all said and done I'd re-run just that area to clean it up. I loaded the 1/8 cutting bit to do the cutouts and at the end of the project found the first and second plaque completely ruined due to the same pattern "misalignment". Any help to keep me operational would be GREATLY appreciated. Just trying to find a solution! My machine specs are as follows:
    C Machine
    CarveTight Chuck
    25 hours on the machine when I started this carving
    the last maintenance was described above as well as replacement of the x drive gears a few weeks back
    I have rubber drive belts
    and I'm using the large harbor freight dust collector with the DC Insert installed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5282.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	71284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6860.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	71285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1867.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	71286
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Paul,

My question to you would be, are you using tape on the back side edge of the board so that the brass wheel has something to bite into? I won't use any kind of board and/or sled without using the tape.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

I have not been, in fact the only time that I've used tape up until now was the carve I did last night that actually went relatively well but I noticed the tape kind of bunching up where the brass roller bit into it. I was under the impression that the tape was just for visual purposes to the sensor on dark pieces of wood. Do you think something that simple could really be the problem? (I will kick myself if it's the case) Like maybe it not biting the board and the machine thinking it's further along then it is?
    -Paul

I supposed you already checked your design layout with a "Show All" command to see if any of the errors might be due to misplaced or forgotten cut paths! I had a project that stumped me for awhile because of that issue.

In my opinion it is the Brass roller loosing contact with the board. That is when the board is lost... from that point on all cuts will be off... When you first saw the skipped area.... I would have shut down the machine and gone back to the computer and first re named the project. Then deleted the messed up plaque from that file. Then delete JUST the Carving leaving you with a file with just 2 cut paths... Don't change any locations.... run that file and save the 2 good carves...

Something that saved me over the years is to put one or 2 strips of masking tape on the under side of the board along the brass roller path. This gives the Brass roller teeth something to bite into... It makes a poor man's Rack and Pinion on the board..... Because like I said above... The board lost contact with the brass roller and a real smooth hard wood can let the brass roller slip....

Honestly if I were doing this project with really good wood like this... I would do them one at a time.... AND I would do them with a Scrap Board sled.... See the picture... Hardboard with a 4 or 5 inch head board the same width and thickness of your good wood. Cut a blank slightly longer than the carving. Add another scrap board 5 or 6 inches longer to the end of the scrap sled. I put Masking tape on the bottom of the hardboard base ans 2 strips at the brass roller.

I tape the good wood blank between 2 scrap pieces. I use PLACE ON END and in my artwork I know the top of the screen is the brass roller end of the project. I draw a box the length of my scrap on the 2 blocks and put the art between the blocks on designer. Remember you can draw a box like a ruler and lay it on the board to aid in setup.

Even the Cut Out or Cut Path will work with a Scrap Sled if you make the correct settings. OR do it without the bottom backer board like the clock... Masking Tape is your friend...

AL

Retired Navy FCC(SW) E-7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06602_WEB.jpg   DSC06601_WEB.jpg   DSC06753_WEB.jpg   CLK1.jpg  

DSC09787_WEB.jpg   DSC09788_WEB.jpg   DSC08113_WEB.jpg   DSC07950_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 08-24-2014 at 07:14 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Paul from looking at your post, it seems the x orientation was lost. I hoped you used the masking tape on the bottom side on the brass roller side of the board.
    My next suggestion and it my not answer all your questions, but for a large project I would break them up into separate projects and used the 3/4" foam insulation board that you put in the walls of the house. This is a good test material and you don't waste good wood. I use all the lime to make sure the carvers goes smooth.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

I think all my issues are pointing to tape on the bottom of the board. Floyd sent me a message stating the same thing - something so simply overlooked. Lets hope it's the issue, I'll be doing another carving this evening more than likely if not, then tomorrow. I checked for extra cut paths, didn't have anything there. Al, you're right about not wasting wood, especially good wood. This is my first time working with cypress, guy at the lumber yard talked me into it instead of poplar since it's a local wood and offered to sell it to me for the same rate since I'm a Marine lol. It cuts a lot like pine, a lot of pitch, the grain looks really nice when finished though. I've been planning on making a sled, just haven't got around to it, and already had a bad experience with the really heavy shelf particle board material. Sled making seems a little overwhelming when you look at the good ones and on the flip side when it comes to taping things up I've always been worried about a jamming issue under the compression rollers (Al, in your second pic the 1/2" tall piece of scrap looks shorter than the overall workpiece that won't jack up the rollers? I'll tell you what, this community is awesome when it comes to leveling frustration. I appreciate everyone input and assistance, I'll follow up hopefully with better news. Thank you everyone!
    Paul
    -Paul

You are correct, the 2nd picture shows a thinner 1/2 inch board on the right side of the sled. The left side of the board is the head of the project and I use place on end and set the board length to just past the carving. The board will stop long before the 1/2 inch board.

Another option is to leave the board long and just put one scrap block at the end of the board and when the carving is done cut the project off the end of the long board using place on end.

I almost always use place on end... Center on board measures the board twice.... more wear and tear.... Tear as in belts...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The rubber tires on the brass roller (O Ring) do ware. I am about to replace the one on my B machine because I was 1/8" off on an 8.5" carve between the raster carve and the vector carve. Did have tape on it.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Check that the brass roller is not touching the front rubber belt when pushed down by the board. Looks to me like the x drive was trying to "catch up" to the brass roller as the brass roller was being driven backwards by contact with the belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast