Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No cut motor brushes available from CW

Not all brushes are created equal...

Hardness can be different and that can either lead to the inside of your motor being covered with conductive carbon dust if it is too soft or the inside of your motor being covered with fine conductive copper dust as the hard brush grinds down the copper....

Then we have the spring length... Too Short not enough pressure and more arcing and heat that will melt the brush holder.... We have seen melted cases....

Then we have spring too long..... SCRUNCHED up under the cap putting TOO much pressure on the brush causing all kinds of problems...

Then lastly the length of the copper tether... Too long and it lets the metal parts of the spring reach the spinning copper parts.... See the 298 Cut Hour post in 2007... The motor STOPPED because the teather held like a DOG CHAIN... If it had been longer, the fix would have been a new motor....

Then you have the LHR version..... Just Right..... Hopefully in stock soon.... I loaned out 2 sets months ago and have not gotten them back yet.

As Clint would say.... "do you feel lucky?"

AL

Pictures from a few years ago when I was running a few machines and stocked parts. The 3 sets was what I offered for loan as you can see by the date during the last brush shortage. Was a bunch of posts on brushes and some "I burned up my motor" posts. I only have a few sets left now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04132_WEB.jpg   DSC01471_WEB.jpg   DSC06140_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 08-28-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Or you can get the maximum usage out of your brushes! Finished using them up last week. At about 5% into a carve the cut motor started slowly winding its way down to a stop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo316.jpg  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Or you can get the maximum usage out of your brushes! Finished using them up last week. At about 5% into a carve the cut motor started slowly winding its way down to a stop.
    That was a close one floyd.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Quote Originally Posted by unitedcases View Post
    That was a close one floyd.
    For sure, when I pulled the top cap off just the top brass part came out. I had to remove the spring and wire with some pliers.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

You better have a good look at the commutator. The next set of brushes might not last too long if it damaged.

See as the brush gets shorter it can twist in the holder and not wear 90 degrees to the copper...

Lets hope that the Brush Shortage will be over soon and a whole boat load showes up...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I have not taken the motor apart yet to check the guts. I just swapped out motors to get back to the carve. I did the change out while the machine was in a paused state.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

8. Default

I have two sets and thought about offering them out to those in need but now that LHR is going to ration them I have second thoughts. One of the reasons I buy 3 or 4 sets at a time is because of the outrageous shipping charges now if you can only buy one set then the shipping really becomes crazy unless you need something else and even then it is still high.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I have not taken the motor apart yet to check the guts. I just swapped out motors to get back to the carve. I did the change out while the machine was in a paused state.
    On the fly...very nice. That's how it's done.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Talk about building the plane while you are in the air Floyd . . . But good on you Mate!
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast