Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: head Pressure issue

Default head Pressure issue

I have a newer CW machine and am having issues with the head pressure. I have cleaned and lubed the machine as well as adjusting the 4 posts per the manual. I still only get around 60 LBS of pressure. Any other way to make this pressure better?

A couple of things to try.

Remove the crank handle and spring that is on the shaft. With a small tip screw driver work some grease in behind the clutch washer on the clutch.

With the crank handle out notice and take count of the number of the thin washers on the shaft. If the grease behind the washer does not bring the pressure up you can add more thin washers to the shaft. To get extra washers you will need to remove the top black end covers on the end of the machine. Extra washers are on the top of the corner posts. Uses the ones on the right side corner posts (as you are looking at the key board). You should only need one or two.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

My take on this is a little different... as usuAL....

I wish there was a standard test to check the calibration of the "Click" on the hand crank... something like a torque wrench to measure the handle release point... something simple like the white paper board sensor standard....

Because I believe most pressure related issues are actually the result of the mechanical drag of the parts before the click clutch and the clutch is releasing at the proper poundage. It is the additional drag of 4 sleeve bearings on the smooth rods and a dirty jacking screws. Even a un level head can twist the wide sleeve bearings causing friction that subtracts from what scale see's at the board.

So it is MY opinion that before you mess with the clutch you should first do a big cleaning job running some thin oil down through the 4 sleeve bearings removing the built up crud of sawdust and dryed out lubrication. Also clean and lubricate the 2 jacking screws and check the drive train under the machine for sawdust in the 90 degree gear boxes... Then a final check for level.... THEN if all else fails start messing with the crank click clutch...

Just my 2 cents....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    To get extra washers you will need to remove the top black end covers on the end of the machine. Extra washers are on the top of the corner posts.
    Is that what those washers are for!! I always wondered about them. Thanks Floyd.

I agree with Al. I had some head pressure issues early on and found a good solid cleaning really helped and taught me early to keep things as clean and maintained as possible....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Is that what those washers are for!! I always wondered about them. Thanks Floyd.
    And I thought the long lost washers were to raise the whole cover up.... Learn something NEW every day.... It is likely in the Operation Manual... , , ..

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I found out back when I first started. The tech in the call center had me install a couple to get my head pressure up. I think it puts more pressure on the clutch plate.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Not in the manual then? Another undocumented jewel of CW knowledge. I wonder if the new C machines have the stash of shim washers on the posts as well.

Not in the manual then? Another undocumented jewel of CW knowledge. I wonder if the new C machines have the stash of shim washers on the posts as well.
    In the head pressure adjustment pdf http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...d_pressure.pdf It does point out the washers in the section on dealing with to high of pressure.

But nothing about them in the low head pressure section.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

I couldn't find them on the posts of my CX machine
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast