Thread: y axis stall; error message E05-0314

1. Default y axis stall; error message E05-0314

I received this error message last night. (y axis stall; E05-0314) I've been away all morning, but today I discovered that the truck (on far left side) will not budge manually. I have read several threads, but I can't find a reference to this particular error message. When I read suggestions to others about checking and/or replacing bearings I get freaked! I'm not really very mechanically minded I'll be grateful for any assistance!

What is your location? Any Carvers near you?

I see you were about to do a Litho... We need the rest of the story... Plastic chips and Litho... Can cause the stall as can a DULL BIT...

The machine is designed to cut wood... the feed rate is set for wood... Cutting plastic requires light cuts, NEW sharp bits and a little luck...

With power on the Servos can hold the Y, a power off test would tell us more.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 08-09-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

3. Default

Yes, I was cutting acrylic, but light pass - .1. The bit is not new, but seems sharp enough. I was using optimal setting in order to slow bit. What do you mean by power off test? The machine is not plugged in, but the truck will not budge with manual effort! It is stuck in far left position. I live in Tuscaloosa, AL, and there is a Carve U member approximately 50-60 miles away in Birmingham. I've talked to him, but not met him.

I have had numerous issues with this machine from beginning this spring. I eventually ended up sending it back to LHR over their objections in May. They replaced flex shaft and other things I don't even know. I have also replaced the flex shaft because it overheated and melted the insulation a few weeks ago. I love the results with this machine, but it has way too many problems. I'm sure some of these are of my own making, but I had hoped for much easier use than I have experienced. Hope things will get better Thanks for your help.

The "power off test" is as you have done. No power to the machine and trying to move the truck.

I would inspect the machine for any acrylic chips in the Y/Z drive belts and bearings that might be stopping the truck from moving.
    Have you tried to see if the truck will move with the power on? You can do the machine test, 0,8 from the main menu to test the Y and Z movement.

If no movement then I would suggest you loosen the Y belt from the Y motor and see if will move then. I am thinking the bearings in the Y gear box might be bad.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

5. Default

Will the owner's manual illustrate how to inspect for chips in the belts and bearings and how to loosen the belt? I'm really not an electrician or mechanic ��

Excellent feedback.... Like posted above you need to inspect for chips first. Next would involve removing the Y Motor to split the troubleshooting in half. Either the Motor Gearbox has bad bearings or with the motor out move the Y feeling for a sticking bearing.

Some of the troubleshooting PDF's will walk you through replacing the Y Motor and you can use it to guide you in removing the motor and installing the same motor again.

When the Y Gearbox Bearings go bad, they let the big plastic gear lean toward the center of the machine and the plastic between the Y Belt and the Gearbox RUBS on the U shape frame. That Resistance can prevent you from moving the head.

See picture of rub marks.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC09643_WEB.jpg   DSC07746_WEB.jpg   DSC07746_WEB_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Quote Originally Posted by t-townwilson View Post
    Will the owner's manual illustrate how to inspect for chips in the belts and bearings and how to loosen the belt? I'm really not an electrician or mechanic ��
    This doc on how to remove and replace the Y truck motor pack may help.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...motor_pack.pdf

There are other docs on the parent page that may help also.

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/repair/

Scroll down to the bottom.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-09-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Steve

8. Default

I removed the flexshaft and top cover and loosened tension on Y-belt, then blew out around truck, and the truck then moved by hand. I reassembled everything and ran a Y-axis test. These were the results: A=99.94 M=256.00.

What do these readings mean? Should I attempt another carve, or are we still dealing with issues?

Thanks for everyone's input!

Give it a try. Listen when the truck is over at the bit plate for 3 clicks... That is a sign of bad Y Gearbox Bearings and a worn shaft.

AL

10. Default

Success! I am now doing a simple carve. Thanks to all who responded. I was so afraid there was serious damage. So happy