Thread: Help Splitting a pattern

Default Help Splitting a pattern

Hello! I am new to the CW system and was wondering what tool or software would I use/have to buy to "split" a pattern? By splitting I mean if I want to take a pattern of a firefighter's badge and make my project 24 inches wide, how can I split the project in two to use two boards and glue them together?

I hope that made sense, I apologize in advance if this is unclear or in the wrong section.

Thank you all for your time and help!

Brian

2. Default

Go to this tips and tricks for how to do this. http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Jul09.pdf

PERFECT!!! Thank You!!! I apoligize for all the dumb questions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1290.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	70816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1201.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	70817

I do a lot of multi part carvings ... No need to Split a pattern as you call it ... Your basic limits are the width 14 1/2 " .. So the way I do it,,, If it's 24 inches I need,, I'll use 12 1/4 boards.. and tell designer I'm using 12 " boards.. Add your pattern to the board, grab a corner and stretch it until the yellow center dots line up on the top edge of the board ( Bottom Half of pattern remain in view ).. Oh ,, The bottom of your pattern box should be close to the bottom edge .. If you use the grid, snap to grid, snap to the 1/4" mark at the bottom ... Do the opposite for the top ... Just make sure you center along the length .. and do not start with a new project.. Save as bottom ... Now with out closing the board drag your pattern down until the center dots line up on the bottom edge of board ... Careful not to resize during moving it ... Now save as Top .. if you have any questions or problems PM me Kevin ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Thank you SO much for the advice and help!! I'm am very new to this and have a steep learning curve to overcome with the software. I did figure out how to import images last night! For me that was a BIG deal!! I appreciate the step by step "how to" and I am sure I will PM you in the future once I get this project figured out.
    Thank you again!!!
    Brian

Default Forgot...

Sorry, just wanted to say I REALLY like your work!! The signs look GREAT!!!