Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some opinions - I'm thinking of making a flex shaft temperature monitor

Sometimes buying it ready to go is just not any fun. If you've got the time, have fun building it.

Quote Originally Posted by chief2007 View Post
    This may work for you and it does not bust the bank either.

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-D111...rature+monitor
    Thanks, but that's way more money than for what I have in mind. I already have most of the bits and pieces in the MSL*

*Mad Scientist Lab

Quote Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
    I just read up on the temperature where hot glue melts. If the article is correct it melts around 300F, and that's for low temp hot glue. Did you try this and have the glue actually melt?
    Never tried it on the flex shaft, just have had hot glue fail on a few occasions.

I'm making an alarm as well.

I was just going to tape the temp probe to the flexshaft with black electrical tape.

The monitor I'm working on can be monitored from remote (it has a Web Server built in), and it will send text messages and E-Mails. It will also Pause the machine when the temperature rises above a certain level.

Now I just have to finish the darn thing. Been working on it too long!

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Geomoo1 View Post
    DickB, where might you find one of those digital thermometers with temp. probe and alarm?
    I didn't conduct an extensive search, but here is an inexpensive one: http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/Di...Np3xoCxRHw_wcB I used one like it years ago that had an output to switch a device on or off - used it to charger NiCad batteries and shut off the charger when the battery pack warmed up. Sorry, don't recall where I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by gapdev View Post
    I'm making an alarm as well.

I was just going to tape the temp probe to the flexshaft with black electrical tape.

The monitor I'm working on can be monitored from remote (it has a Web Server built in), and it will send text messages and E-Mails. It will also Pause the machine when the temperature rises above a certain level.

Now I just have to finish the darn thing. Been working on it too long!

Kenny

Well look who's showing off! LOL, can't wait to see that. You using a Raspberry Pi for that?

I like the idea of pausing the machine. Let me guess, you're using the cover switch circuit for that?

I think the Raspberry Pi might be a bit of an overkill?

Arduino with a Lantronix XPort.

Yes, I was going to wire the Cover Switch through a relay.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by gapdev View Post
    I think the Raspberry Pi might be a bit of an overkill?

Arduino with a Lantronix XPort.
    Doesnt the cost two of those devices (Ardunio & XPort) far exceed the Rasp Pi? I started out doing everything with Arduino's until I fell in love with the Pi. Ethernet, webserver, mysql server, a ton of packages rightout of the box seems to make the PI a hands down favorite for Internet of Things (IoT) in my opinion. Only real downside is none of the gpio are buffered on the Pi. The raspberry pi and the pi face board are starting block for most of the IoT's i've made recently.
    Doug Fletcher

I have had 3 A machines before I got my B then added a C. I have NEVER had a heating problem with my flex shafts after the 3rd lubing with Lubraplate 930AA. It takes 3 times for it to really penetrate. Of coarse I do re-lube every few months. They run barely warm. I did replace the spacer spring on the B a while back.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

My LCD displays arrived and while I was looking at how to wire them in I found this project ready to copy - displays temp and humidity with a sensor I have around the MSL somewhere. This part will be for measuring ambient temperatures and humidity.

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/P...midity-Display

Wiring in a temp-only sensor or two should be easy peasy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast