Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re-sharpeing carving bits

Default re-sharpeing carving bits

Hello, I have a company that re-sharpens my bits. They have a minimum order. They will only do the 1/16th carving bits. So, what I am offering is a bit exchange. You would send me your old bits and I will send you re-sharpened bits. If they are sent with adapters, they will come back with the same kind of adapters. You will not receive the exact bits back as I have a large stock of re-sharpened bits on hand. This eliminates the turn-a-round time. You will handle the shipping to us and we will handle the shipping back to you, US shipping addresses only. I am asking for a minimum order of 5 bits per mailing. Each re-sharpened bit is $20. If you wish to contact us for more information, please send a PM through here. Thank you

Jason,

That sounds like some great news! Have you done any carvings with the re-sharpened bits yet? If so how were the results?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

We have been testing the bits for 2 months and have seen no difference in the lifetime of the bit after the re-sharpening.... compared to the new bit, we are getting the same carving quality and usage

First Lovejoys where are you located? Second this could be a gold mind, I have some old bits the could use some sharpening.
    Thanks for the info.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoys View Post
    Hello, I have a company that re-sharpens my bits. They have a minimum order. They will only do the 1/16th carving bits. So, what I am offering is a bit exchange. You would send me your old bits and I will send you re-sharpened bits. If they are sent with adapters, they will come back with the same kind of adapters. You will not receive the exact bits back as I have a large stock of re-sharpened bits on hand. This eliminates the turn-a-round time. You will handle the shipping to us and we will handle the shipping back to you, US shipping addresses only. I am asking for a minimum order of 5 bits per mailing. Each re-sharpened bit is $20. If you wish to contact us for more information, please send a PM through here. Thank you
    This sounds like a great deal but, the problem is that I don't have 5 old bits. when they are dull and dis-colored I have been throwing them away. I just figured they were not much good for anything.
    Steve

This is a good idea....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks Al

I am located in MN not far from IA

I wonder about accuracy. Re-sharpening removes a little of the metal and the 1/16" bit makes .005" per pass on optimal setting. I guess it just depends on how much metal is removed during the sharpening process which depends on how dull the bit is to begin with. (fuzzies?)
    Steve

accuracy-Carvewright that's kind a funny

Yes they do remove little of the metal when re-sharpening I have not see any real difference

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoys View Post
    accuracy-Carvewright that's kind a funny

Yes they do remove little of the metal when re-sharpening I have not see any real difference
    I guess I'll have to try a few before I make any real opinions.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast