Thread: computor use question

Default computor use question

Sorry for the off topic question, I'm in a bit of a jam. I have an e-mail Dr's report I need to read, but it is a docx file and I get a sign that says (this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.) I have Windows xp. Is there anything I can do to open this file or do I need to contact the Dr's office and have them change it so I can open it? It says to create anassociation in the "folder options control panal", but after clicking into folder options I don't know what to do.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman View Post
    Sorry for the off topic question, I'm in a bit of a jam. I have an e-mail Dr's report I need to read, but it is a docx file and I get a sign that says (this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.) I have Windows xp. Is there anything I can do to open this file or do I need to contact the Dr's office and have them change it so I can open it? It says to create anassociation in the "folder options control panal", but after clicking into folder options I don't know what to do.
    Dan,
    The docx means that it was created in a newer version of MS Word. You could have them convert it to a PDF file and then you could open it with Adobe reader.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Thank you so much.

Another option would be to download and install Libre Office (http://www.libreoffice.org/) - it'll open .docx files. The pdf option Mike suggested is probably the more sane route though.

And Microsoft has a free viewer for Word files: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ails.aspx?id=4

Thank you everyone . You guys are the best.