Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem chain, QC, Y drive assembly, board sensor @ 151 but get error

Correct, Fold Over bends are OK since it is done once. The Problem area is to try to not KINK the FFC Cable along it's length where it is in motion. Any Folds or Kinks will bend more at that point than the gentle motion of a flat cable.

Second is to be sure you install the black plastic cover at the Z Motor that holds the FFC Cable. Once I dropped it and was in a hurry and kicked it under my machine cart and couldn't find it. I ran without it and the FFC Cable drooped and snagged the fins of the Y Motor and ripped the FFC Cable out under power. It fried a Z Motor... I was able to quickly fix it by swapping motors and even went back and installed the bad one just to proof my work... that is was in fact bad....

First units the FFC Cable was glued, I like to place a 1 inch long strip of tape over the black bracket and the FFC Cable to hold it in place. Just drape it over the top both ends down.

Third.... My 4th machine was purchased from a guy I worked with on the Forum where he went through all the problems just like yours... He finally replaced the FFC Cable and it worked for about 10 minutes and back to the same problem... I asked him to change the FFC Cable again but his frustration level had peeked and he put the machine up for sale... I bought it... Replaced the cable and back up and running.... What I had found was that he had installed the cable with the top exposed area TOO SHORT... So when the head went over to the Bit Flag it pulled TIGHT.... It took 10 min to RIP the cable.....

I remove the old cable and orient the new cable over the old cable getting the exposed contacts facing the right way then duplicate the folds, creasing the cable. Then I install it on the holder.

And LHR is the best source for the cable.

GOOD JOB !!!

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-19-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by texasinmi View Post
    ...I am going to order a dozen. Al do you have a source or should I just call Connie?

texasinmi
    Ha! I don't think you'll need a dozen, although CW might be happy to sell that many! I've never had to replace one from wear-and-tear at all. Only replaced with the new cable when upgrading to the CT Spindle was all - the old ones were still good after 6 years and 7 years of use for each machine. Perhaps one spare per machine would be plenty. (I don't keep any spare cable on hand...knock on wood.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Ha! I don't think you'll need a dozen, although CW might be happy to sell that many! I've never had to replace one from wear-and-tear at all. Only replaced with the new cable when upgrading to the CT Spindle was all - the old ones were still good after 6 years and 7 years of use for each machine. Perhaps one spare per machine would be plenty. (I don't keep any spare cable on hand...knock on wood.)
    Me too Michael. I also replaced mine when I upgraded to the CT spindle when it was first released and I haven't had a problem since. If a reasonable amount of care is taken when doing cleanups of the machine and making sure it doesn't catch on anything there shouldn't be any problems. I do keep a spare though.
    Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123