Thread: centerline vs. carve region

Default centerline vs. carve region

Point me in the right direction, please. can I use Centerline in a carved region? When I try it just disappears. I've got Designer 1.180. There are likely newer versions but the last I tried my Mac said no go.

You will need Conforming vectors software for that, here is the link.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

If you are in a flat bottomed carve region I think you should be able to set the depth of the centerline text to the depth of the carve region and use it without conforming.

There are ways to do it without conforming text, but it's a risk. I use the conforming text all the time, works on just about any surface. Sometimes hard to justify the $100 but if you're going to be doing a lot of carving with text it's the only way. Check out the link DocWheeler posted.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by FWMiller View Post
    If you are in a flat bottomed carve region I think you should be able to set the depth of the centerline text to the depth of the carve region and use it without conforming.
    You can not control the depth in centerline...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Back in the early days.... I was making many Maltese Clocks. It had a flat region as part of the pattern that was a GREAT place to put the name of the Fire Dept in Centerline Text...

As you see, the text either goes away or looks light in the final design.

What I would do is bring up the pattern design very shallow and do the text layout in centerline and you should be able to see the text at this time. I would then select the 2 sets of text and copy them and copy them in a exact same size board and rename that project TEXT. I would go back to the first project and delete the text then set the pattern and cut path to the proper depth. The bit would touch the recessed area when checking for the board surface.

I would cut that project without any text. In my case the areas where the text was to go was very shallow, less than 1/4 inch.

I would run the Text Project but this time when the machine asks you if you want place the bit at the starting point to get the board depth, you move the head over the flat area in my case where the text is going to go. This sets the DEPTH slightly below the board surface but will let your centerline text carve.

The DANGER in this, is if the DEPTH of the Text Carve Area is TOO DEEP, the Bit can TRIP on the higher wood and snap a bit or snap a Z Truck.... Since I was dealing with 1/4 inch, it worked fine most of the time...

I don't know if any program changes have prevented this... but it is just 2 projects for the same board....

As seen by some of the text... I even had some light text and had to use a nail to press v text into the area making for a less than ideal project...

So 2 projects, one with just the text.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00929_WEB.jpg   DSC00926_WEB.jpg   DSC00924_WEB.jpg   CLK1.jpg  

DSC07728_WEB.jpg   DSC07726_WEB.jpg   DSC07722_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-15-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    ... Sometimes hard to justify the $100 but if you're going to be doing a lot of carving with text it's the only way.
    The price Jerry gave is incorrect (he said it's $100). The Conforming Vectors module is $50 and WELL worth the investment.

Here's the link: http://store.carvewright.com/product...cat=252&page=1
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I agree with MT! It works with any vector carving, not just Centerline.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Opps, Michael you are correct. It was the centerline that cost that much. My fault, sorry guys.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.