Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting letters

Default Painting letters

I have been working on a big sign for a preschool which is very basic just letters but I'm having trouble with painting the letters (might just be impatience). Is there a quicker way of painting the letters. I'm doing this all by hand with a brush and not really sure of what I'm doing. It's taken 4 coats so far to get a decent coverage.

I use a small Medical Syringe, the kind that you give kids oral cough syrup as it is all plastic and no rubber stopper. Use the tip to push the paint around and it self levels. Get too much... use another to suck it up...

I also put my paint in Ketchup Bottles to preserve it, no skin... and easy to fill the syringe.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

On raised letters like that I always paint from back to front and I paint the background color up the sides of the feather. When you paint the front color stroke towards the edge and you can get an even edge that way. Also using a foam brush or a small roller with almost no nap helps/

dave

I think those are recessed letters, Dave.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by kcc2012 View Post
    I have been working on a big sign for a preschool which is very basic just letters but I'm having trouble with painting the letters (might just be impatience). Is there a quicker way of painting the letters. I'm doing this all by hand with a brush and not really sure of what I'm doing. It's taken 4 coats so far to get a decent coverage.
    I posted my technique years ago for this type of "look" ...lemme see if I can do a search and find the link...

Found it! http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...Signs-for-Camp

The letters were raised, but the principle is exactly the same for recessed letters. Paint the entire board first in one color...use a short nap roller for the contrasting color after the first one is dry.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-03-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Any have a good way to paint Centerline lettering leaving the wood grain on the body? Only way I know is to spray paint the letters then sand the paint off the surface.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I use sticky shelving paper before the carve, spray the letters and sand off any bleed thru. Greg

I use OraMASK 813 Stencil Film. It's made for sign making. You can put it on the bare wood, carve, paint the carved areas and then peel off. You can also put it on top of a painted piece, carve and then peel off. Doesn't leave any residue.

Quote Originally Posted by FWMiller View Post
    I use OraMASK 813 Stencil Film. It's made for sign making. You can put it on the bare wood, carve, paint the carved areas and then peel off. You can also put it on top of a painted piece, carve and then peel off. Doesn't leave any residue.
    This sounds like a really interesting product so I think I'll try it. I did a Google search and Amazon has it for $25.99. Thanks for the info.
    Steve

Also check signwarehouse.com. If I remember correctly they had cheaper pricing and more selection of roll sizes when I ordered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast