Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Vac dust collection

Default Shop Vac dust collection

I have been told that i should not use a vacuum cleaner to vacuum out the Carvewright because of static electricity, but if I use the dust collection hood can I attachment to the shop-vac? I do need to set up some kind of dust collection system especially when I do a 3 plus hour carve.

Also if I use my 45* bit on what kind of spacer do i need to use, can I just buy a plastic type from a box store as long as it fits my 1/2" shank bit stainless steel shaft carbide tips?

Thanks
    Elmo

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo Sr View Post
    I have been told that i should not use a vacuum cleaner to vacuum out the Carvewright because of static electricity, but if I use the dust collection hood can I attachment to the shop-vac? I do need to set up some kind of dust collection system especially when I do a 3 plus hour carve.

Also if I use my 45* bit on what kind of spacer do i need to use, can I just buy a plastic type from a box store as long as it fits my 1/2" shank bit stainless steel shaft carbide tips?

Thanks
    Elmo
    You can use a shop vac for dust collection and for cleanup but, compressed air works better for cleanup. Just make sure the vacuum is grounded and the Carvewright is grounded. The reason most recommendations are against a shop vac for a dust collector is that most vacuums are not rated for continuous use and the motor burns up if left on for an extended time.
    Steve

Thank you Steve for this info, I will just be sure I keep an eye on shop-vac until I can git enough coins for a real dust collector.

Although not recommended as Steve stated some do use the shop vac for dust collection. Static grounding is a must have as the air moves at a much higher volume making it more prone to static build up. You will also find that the filter in the shop vac will plug up quickly and will need to be cleaned very frequently. Getting a real dust collector, even one of the small portable units, would be your better option.

For your 45* bit you should be able to use the 1/2" plastic tube fitting as a bit stop.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo Sr View Post

Thanks
    Elmo
    The stop collars that Carvewright sells are just 1/4" and 1/2" plastic (fish tank) tubing and you can buy it at most hardware stores and cut it to length. I have found that they can sometimes get hot and can be compressed more easily than when they are cold. I use steel stop collars designed for high speed routers that are tightened with a set screw. Here is a link

http://www.routerbitworld.com/category-s/2116.htm
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    The stop collars that Carvewright sells are just 1/4" and 1/2" plastic (fish tank) tubing and you can buy it at most hardware stores and cut it to length. I have found that they can sometimes get hot and can be compressed more easily than when they are cold. I use steel stop collars designed for high speed routers that are tightened with a set screw. Here is a link

http://www.routerbitworld.com/category-s/2116.htm
    Thanks for the link to the stop collars, I was just thinking about finally getting some.

dave

How do you ground the shop vac and the carvewright?

Quote Originally Posted by kcc2012 View Post
    If you do not have a static ground system in your shop already then you can add a grounding lead to the green terminal (ground) of the outlet you have your shop vac plugged into. From that lead coil the wire around the shop vac hose up to the machine. Use alligator clips for ease of attachment and removal.

Make sure you power down before making the connection in the outlet box.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by kcc2012 View Post
    There are many methods that have been discussed here on the forum. Almost all of the will work. Basically, you just need to attach a wire from the machine to a ground source. Use Floyds DC screw mounts as it is metal and works really well. Do the same with your shop-vac. You can ground them separately or together. Some like to wrap the hose with the wire. Some use the metal coil in the hose as the wire. It really doesn't matter as long as both are connected to a good ground source.
    Steve

I've used the same CMT stop collars on other tools/routers before I got the cnc bug. I've always got them from 2 sources with great prices depending on the quantity I was purchasing: Baird's and AceTools. I had to go check to make sure they were still being offered and they are. Baird's has them for $3.50 each, but shipping is always rather high ($20 or so an order), AceTools has them for a buck more, $4.50 each, but offers USPS shipping for around $6. So like I mentioned, depending on the quantity you are ordering, one will work out to be the better deal. Baird's: http://www.bairdbrothers.com/CMT-Bearings-C5853.aspx, AceTools: http://www.acetoolonline.com/CMT-Accessories-s/4457.htm - the stop collars on at the bottom of the page.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast