Thread: Center drill holes on or in a triangle?

Default Center drill holes on or in a triangle?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Center Triangle drill holes.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	489.6 KB 
ID:	67819
    Help. I have a project with a 5.5" circle and need 3 ea 1/4" hole at the vertex of the triangle of 4.25".
    The angles equal 60 degrees and I don't know if there is a button to push and confirm the 1/4" drill holes to be exact on the triangle
    vertex 3 Points. The drawing is a scan from the CW. This the best available at this time.
    I have no idea why I am doing this, it is one old hour glass with wood and I want to cut new top and base then replace with three brass rods using brass cap nuts. When done a photo will follow. Woodpecker

I think I have it. First thing I did was to toggle off the perspective view. After drawing out the triangle and setting the length to 4.250 I did the .250 drill hole. I then selected both the triangle and drill hole so that they showed up on the board. Zoomed to board up as close as it would go and then I moved the drill hole to the corner of the triangle. When it was aligned in noted a "green" star.

I did try setting up the grid but could not find the correct interval for the spacing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

A neat trick for aligning objects is to use the points on a snap grid even if the object does not fit on the grid. For example, snap the drill holes on the grid near where they should be. Move the triangle so a vertex snaps to the same point as the drill. Now move the triangle and the drill as you line up another vertex with the next drill. Now move the two drills and the triangle to snap the third vertex to where the third drill is. Now all the drills are exactly on the vertices because they were snapped there.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    A neat trick for aligning objects is to use the points on a snap grid even if the object does not fit on the grid. For example, snap the drill holes on the grid near where they should be. Move the triangle so a vertex snaps to the same point as the drill. Now move the triangle and the drill as you line up another vertex with the next drill. Now move the two drills and the triangle to snap the third vertex to where the third drill is. Now all the drills are exactly on the vertices because they were snapped there.
    Good idea!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Fantastic. I can't wait to get into it. I will look for that green star. I tried the grid also.
    Wow that was fast. Thanks!
    Woodpecker

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I'll have to remember this trick, it would have helped more than once on a couple projects I put together.

Great information to keep. Now if you can help me remember how to spell isosceles my day will be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I think I have it. First thing I did was to toggle off the perspective view. After drawing out the triangle and setting the length to 4.250 I did the .250 drill hole. I then selected both the triangle and drill hole so that they showed up on the board. Zoomed to board up as close as it would go and then I moved the drill hole to the corner of the triangle. When it was aligned in noted a "green" star.

I did try setting up the grid but could not find the correct interval for the spacing.
    You could always just use the "Attach" tool to attach the center of the drill hole to the same distances from a vertical and horizontal edge as each of the triangle vertices
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

Name:	2014 03 09_1284.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	68045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 03 08_1281.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	68046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hour Glass 003.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	68047Perfect for DST Then time is only?
    This is IF I ? with the broken hour glass. Then a perfect fit with the CW and brass cut to length with the hand cut threads on 1/4" rod and brass acorn nuts for a wonderful display of NO TIME. Well perhaps without a measurement we have more time than expected?

Name:	Center Triangle drill holes.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	489.6 KB 
ID:	67819
    Help. I have a project with a 5.5" circle and need 3 ea 1/4" hole at the vertex of the triangle of 4.25".
    The angles equal 60 degrees and I don't know if there is a button to push and confirm the 1/4" drill holes to be exact on the triangle
    vertex 3 Points. The drawing is a scan from the CW. This the best available at this time.
    I have no idea why I am doing this, it is one old hour glass with wood and I want to cut new top and base then replace with three brass rods using brass cap nuts. When done a photo will follow. Woodpecker[/QUOTE]