Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Patterns

Default Trademarks

I have seen many of the logos or various items sold at flea markets and Trade Fairs and yes, the people can get into trouble selling them. The Walt Disney Company is particularly sensitive about their characters and I wouldn't attempt to sell anything with a Walt Disney character.

I noticed on my CompuCarve TM box that Sears has applied for a trademark for the name CompuCarve TM so it will soon be illegal to use that name on any products.

TM indicates that they have applied for a trademark ® indicates that they have a registered trademark.

Colleges especially A&M and Texas are sensitive about their logos too. No one says you can't use them...just don't sell them.

Default Word of thanks

Jon
    I would like to say thanks too for your time, patterns and the excellent training video's. They are better that regular CorelDraw video's because yours show us exactly what is needed to make patterns for the CW and others are more general in nature.

I have learned a lot from them and I always look forward to the next one. It is too bad that one bad apple can spoil the whole basket.

Please keep up the good work

Wally

Jon,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth that I am very grateful for all the work you have done. You have raised my abilities to do things with the CW 1000%.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
    If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use WD40...If it's not supposed to move and does, use duct tape.

Denny Powlison
    Adrian, Michigan

well I guess it is time to break my silence;

I would like to say that I have enjoyed and learned from the videos and as far as logo's go or images that might be posted on this site, we are all here to share as we do in the shared pattern files section so if you do not want to use them don't! If you would like to then by all means do!

we are all here to help each other and no one (in my opinion ) has the right to try and mess with that. it will only help us all in the future I can appreciate that if someone buys one from vector art it does not get shared, but I have also learned something else and I may be corrected on this point.

If you use an image from the internet and it is changed so not exactly the same as the one that is tm or copyrighted it is not breaking any laws. Now while I know this is a fine line it is what I know at this point take from it what you wish.

JON KEEP UP HELPING US OUT AND IF ONE TWO OR EVEN THREE PEOPLE DECIDE NOT TO PARTAKE SO BE IT!!!!!!!
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

I will add my two cents. Just in case anyone may not appreciate Jon and all his hard work and dedication to this site, us and the CNC thing, just for one moment, imagine what all this would be without him.

Ok, now that you have done that..........be thankful!!! This guy has made all the difference in the world to every single one of us in one way or another. Now go buy a video with a copyrighted logo in it;/ Sheesh

6. Default

I wrote one sentence questioning the content on Jon's site, wondering aloud (in print) if it was okay to treat his original images, content, etc. the way he is treating others. For that I am a JERK?

It's not legal to buy one sheet of music and then photocopy it for the whole band, even though it's for your personal use. (The music industry has had an ongoing battle with the duplication processes for years, ie. tape recorders, copy machines, cd burners, napster, etc.) It's not legal to take an image off the internet and print it for your own use. Why do you think those taking wedding pics, for example, watermark their internet proofs.

Even Carvewright says you can install only two copies of their software. If you want more, then buy them. With the growing popularity of the CW, soon, if not already, there will be a hack so you can install it on all the machines you want. Many will do it and think nothing of it. Using Jon's argument, the users, using it for their personal use, are doing so quite properly. And the enabler, the hacker, if he/she puts in a disclaimer that you the user are responsible for any fees, they are off the hook as well.

BTW, for those that interpreted my original post to mean something else, ie. not appreciating his talent, I apologize. It is obvious that Jon has spent numerous hours trying to be as helpful as possible with general information and specific problems CW owners have had. I think we are all thankful for that. I hope he is rewarded appropriately for his endeavors.

John

Default Thanks to all

Well I just recently bought my CW (sears brand) and have been spending my time trying to figure out which way is up as it were

I just today found your website and loved it! not only for the great videos (I'll be buying your main on tomorrow!), but also for the files..if nothing else to open them up in designer and see how they are made, etc...

So thank you and everyone else for all the ideas, thoughts, tips, tricks, files, and help you offer to us all.

Doug

No problem, John... I'm sorry that I perceived it as being antagonistic, rather than a merely tactless way of asking a question...

Again, let me re-explain this. You can legally obtain vectorised (.cdr, .eps, .ai and other formats) copies of almost any logo that is in existence, without ever contacting the owners. So having them available in .PTN format is no different. I am not producing or even condoning producing items to sell without having permission from the owners of these logos.

What you do with these logos is what determines whether you are doing something illegal... selling items that contain copyrighted images is against the law, and absolutely wrong in my books.

This is completely and totally different from downloading a hacked program, making illegal copies of games, artwork, movies or music, or any other kind of piracy. Having any of these items in your possession benefits you because you are getting the intended use out of a product that you didn't pay for... it is the same as stealing... selling decals with copyrighted logos or images out of your store or at the flea market is just as wrong.

In my business, I have done hundreds of banners and signs for companies that contain corporate logos. These were done within the guidelines of the corporate use and permission from a authorized agent of these companies. Now how can it be against the law for me to have these company's logos on my computer in CorelDraw format? How could I produce these signs for them if I did not have the logos on my computer? I didn't reproduce all of them myself, I obtained them from a variety of sources, including the corporations themselves, logo cd's I've purchased, and online sources like BrandsoftheWorld.

So, for example, if I have the Boy Scouts logo in .PTN format on my site, and you download it to carve plaques for the Boy Scouts that were ordered by a person authorized to do so... how is it wrong for me to provide the logo in the correct format for you to do your job?? How does this logo magically appear as a .PTN file, if you are not capable of reproducing it?

According to your theory, if you have a Ford logo in .jpg format off Google images as your Windows (ooops, I typed a trademarked word) wallpaper, you're breaking the law. The news paper article that writes about the condition of Ford's stock and displays their logo in the article, is breaking the law... if I download a Re/Max logo to do a car-wrap for the local real-estate agent, I'm breaking the law...

That's just insane...

Again, I'm sorry I called you a JERK... I just would have preferred a private message expressing your concerns in a decent manner, without the "well, I guess if you're gonna STEAL, it's okay for everyone to STEAL from you" kind of crap...
    Last edited by Jon Jantz; 02-23-2007 at 02:31 AM.
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

Thumbs up

Jon, could not have said it better myself. Keep up the good work!!!! Having been a Police Officer for the past 39 years (working on my second pension) I know what stealing is and what you are doing ain't it! Thanks again, the rest of us appreciate your efforts.
    Bill

As my Grandpa used to say "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased!"

Jon,

Great work! It is obvious from everything you've provided in this forum that you're intentions not ill willed. I, as many others, enjoy your contributions and always anticipate what you're going to come up with next. Which is going to be what?

Anyway...Start collecting everyones "two cents" so that you have some return on investment!!! I'm throwing in mine, too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast