Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Patterns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Free Patterns

Well, a bunch of you wanted to know when I was gonna do it, so I'm putting a note in here... I finally have had time to put up a few patterns on the website... have a bunch more coming, but this will get things kicked off.

From the main page, click on Free Stuff...

www.AllCW.com

Later,
    Jon
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

Thanks for all of your work Jon.
    Using Version 1.125

thanks a bunch !! nice work!! great page!
    THE GIZ .. sawdust to sawdust in this i trust..

4. Default

That canadian nickle sure looks like a dime...

Hahahaha.. mobi...

That's what happens when you're naming a file at 2am...

Actually, I was just going by the U.S. exchange rate... it's about 50% right??? lol

*OK, I'VE BEEN TOO BUSY AND I'M LOSING MY MIND*

Happy now, Mobi???

((BTW, for those of you that download the keyboard... if you're carving it in 3/4" plywood.. increase the depth to about .7 and increase the height to the max.. you can actually make almost a life size keyboard...))

6. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jantz View Post
    Hahahaha.. mobi...

That's what happens when you're naming a file at 2am...

Actually, I was just going by the U.S. exchange rate... it's about 50% right??? lol
    Well, we wouldn't want to offend Menewfy!

Eric, I agree totally with all that... BTW- OCA Enterprises is one of the companies that sell the huge logo collections. All the major nation-wide sign supply companies like Signwarehouse, Grimco, etc. carry their collections... which ironically contain THEIR logos...

So you're right, I don't think it's illegal to sell those. If it was, how hard would it be for 10 of the 27,000 companies whose logos are in this collection, to get together and sue these distributors? It would have been done by now, I bought my first OCA collection back in 1996.

Anyway, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. If I get an email from one these companies expressing displeasure with my depiction of their logo, I will take them off, simple as that...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jantz View Post
    ...Anyway, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. If I get an email from one these companies expressing displeasure with my depiction of their logo, I will take them off, simple as that...
    Yeah, the horse has been dead quite a while. I just felt that some of the discussion arose due to the common tendency to confuse trademark and copyright. It's a pet peeve of mine.

John does make a good point in noting that the ease with which this machine allows for copying of other's material is a concern. Woodcarvers are creative artists, so duplicating their work without permission could violate their copyright in their creative expression. The exact limits of "fair use" in this area will eventually need to be explored (i.e. my best guess is that replacing a decorative element on a piece of antique furniture you own is probably fair use if it is not otherwise available for replacement, while copying someone else's relief carving so you can decorate your own carvings for sale is not fair use, with the gray area falling inbetween).
    Last edited by CallNeg151; 02-23-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: An afterthought.

9. Default Re: Free Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jantz
    Well, a bunch of you wanted to know when I was gonna do it, so I'm putting a note in here... I finally have had time to put up a few patterns on the website... have a bunch more coming, but this will get things kicked off.

From the main page, click on Free Stuff...

www.AllCW.com

Later,
    Jon
    Since you have posted copyrighted images, logos, etc. for anyone to use, I will assume you feel it is fine for someone to copy your instructional videos and pass them around at no charge (or even charge for them without your consent.) My apologies if you have made arrangements to pay royalties to GM, NFL, etc.

Well, John, since you want to be a jerk about it, here's how it is.

I AIN'T SELLING THOSE LOGOS.

I am in the sign business and have been to many trade shows. Now at these trade shows there are always several large companies that sell Logo Clipart disks that have every major corporation in the world's logo all ready to print or be cut in vinyl.

They aren't authorizing you to take the Harley Davidson logo for example, make decals and start selling them... BUT if you need to make a sign for Harley Davidson, you have their logo already digitised...

So if a person is selling carved items with these logos without getting authorization from the proper owner, that is illegal. To provide clipart in the format that will load in Carvewright Designer, is not...

For example you can go to www.brandsoftheworld.com and find about any logo available, already vectorised. They are not an illegal website or providing an illegal service. But if you download those logos, print them on a t-shirt and sell them, you are in violation of many of these company's policies and breaking copyright laws...

Also, making an item for your own use that you are not selling is different as well. If I want to print out the Ford logo on an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper, and hang it on my wall, Ford Motor Company is not going to care.

So, I will put a disclaimer on there, specifying that NO MONEY is being exchanged, and that the logos may only be used with the express permission of the rightful owner...

And if I start selling items with these logos on them, I will personally send you copies of the royalty checks. And, by the way, as yet I haven't PROFITTED the first dime on the videos, I'm still way in the hole with the money and time I've spent to be able to do them, and I'm glad everyone is not like you or I wouldn't be spending time every day reworking patterns for people on here, working on the new tutorials, and posting on these websites...

Well, I think I'll work on some of my own patterns and projects for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast