Thread: Question about Sled and two sided Carve

1. Default Question about Sled and two sided Carve

I have made a sled and made a nice plaque for a family member. I would like to see about just flipping the board over and doing it again to have the plaque two sided. Attached is pictures of the sled ( I only have the one picture, but I did change it so the cut board is centered)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5800.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	67392
    and a picture of the project. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5822.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	67393

The deepest cut is .250 and the board is .75 thick, so I'm pretty sure that I have the thickness to cut it twice.

One concern would be making sure that I have the bottom on the same side so if it was hanging one side wouldn't be upside down, I believe I have that figured out from the TIPS and TRICKS on Sleds. But a comment to re-assure my thoughts are correct will be helpful.

My second concern would be making the board to thin, where it isn't strong enough to be durable. I believe the wood is African Mahogany, it was part of a "gift" pack from a friend.

I'm sure this has been done before by someone else. Seems pretty simple to me, just hate to scrap a decent project that I am almost ready to say is complete.

Thanks for all the great help you guys provide.
    Steve

It looks like most of the board is carved to depth, so if you do as you propose most of your board will be only 1/4" thick. I would not do it.

I probably can't explain how to align the board better than tips and tricks or following the user manual.

Dick and Steve,

Dick - You are probably correct, but I did it anyway - it made a light-weight sign that is easy to handle and hang.
    Very good if not used outside. And, I had a 2" banner across the middle that increased the thickness to about 9/16".

Steve - Just remember that the top of the carve will be at the keypad side and you will be fine if the positioning is right.
    You might consider reducing the depth a little if it doesn't detract from what you want.
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 02-03-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

4. Default

Thank you guys for the information. I thought maybe the 1/4 inch remaining thickness would be weak, and have waited for responses before going to carve it. The sign is going to be used while camping, hanging from a post outside their camper. Maybe I can get some 4/4 and carve it so I have 1/2 inch strength and even lessen the depth a little.

Thanks, again the forum is more valuable than it's weight in gold!

Steve

I have not done a double sided carve like this but quarter inch seems to me like it should be sufficient (structurally) in mohagany for a sign like this since it's only used periodically for camping. It doesn't sound like it's going to get a lot of abuse. If it were to be permanently outdoors exposed to weather or might gets tossed around a lot I might make it thicker to make it last longer. If you were doing it again anyway, in addition to doing a shallower carving you could also make the frame a bit wider to get a little extra support. Just my thoughts.

Frederick

The potential issue with 1/4" thick hardwood is warping not strength. I sometimes use 1/4" oak boards from the home centers and it is difficult to find one that is not already cupped in the store.

I don't see any problem doing this, just flip the board end for end instead of rolling it over as you normally do. Instead of the left end staying the left end - as I tell people in training - , the top needs to stay the top.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com