Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection

Here is a tip. Don't waist your money on plastic blast gates . They have too much slop and get cloged easily with sawdust not letting them close all the way. Several online stores carry dust collection fittings including Woodcraft, Grizzly, Peachtree,etc.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

The self cleaning gates work very well. I wish I could remember where I got mine at now but I do remember they were a bit more expensive. And of course, I figured out those were the best after beating up a couple plastic ones.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

chebytrk, I bought the 'Portable" unit from Harbor Freight. The dust collection wasn't as good as my roll around 2 HP Delta. One think I did notice on the Harbor Frieght Unit are there were 2 grid plates, one on the intake, the other on the side where the bag was. I found these clogged very easily. I removed the plates. The only function they serve is they keep you from sticking your fingers into the blades. But with the hose connected on one side and the bag on the other, you can't put your fingers into the blades. I guess if you had the hose and bag off, turned it on and stuck your fingers in the blades, well then that may be a problem. I haven't met anyone on the Forum who would do that...

Jerry, I used a Delta 1.5 HP unit. Only one I've ever used so I am no expert. It seems to work well.
    I do not have it connected to my CC since the downdraft unit I've used for six years still works for me.
    I did make a drop from the DC to be used for it in the future if I wanted to do it.

George, I know that sharp bends are a no-no, but I used at least one at each drop; all the rest are forty-fives.
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 12-24-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Here is where I'm at so far.

Red is DC piping, all 4" and reduced at tool, all 45* turns, metal blast gates and floor hose for table saw, rest is run along ceiling and hoses dropped down. will have hose to switch around at router table for it, planer and belt sander. Think this will work? or am I pushing it too far?

Thanks for the info so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop.jpg  

I think that your setup is basically fine, assuming you have blast gates to close each hose you are not using and depending on how powerful your DC is, I have a 1 1/2 hp Delta and I think it would be underpowered for your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by chkorte View Post
    I think that your setup is basically fine, assuming you have blast gates to close each hose you are not using and depending on how powerful your DC is, I have a 1 1/2 hp Delta and I think it would be underpowered for your setup.
    It's the 2hp harbor freight DC

The only tool that may be a problem is your planer because of the distance from the DC and the diameter of your piping. I have some 6" dia running from the DC for a bit before I stepped it down to 4". Just something to keep in mind if your DC doesn't keep up with your planer.
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

PVC works well and is cheaper than metal, just remember to run a grounding system. The proper way is to run the wire inside the pipe, drill a hole and exit it out the pipe to connect where the system branches and such. I got cheap bare copper wire on a spool and wrapped around the outside of mine, works fine. Rockler has all the adapters and such you need.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12