Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: problems with the Y axis

Default problems with the Y axis

Quote Originally Posted by Robkjv1611 View Post
    I just recently started having this problem but only when doing cutouts. The cut path shifts on every pass a little further. Do you guys think the "too much play in the plastic gear" would be causing my problem too? I have 320 hrs on my machine.
    Attachment 66156Attachment 66157Attachment 66158
    Check your y bearings - they should be changed around 250 hrs. If your bearings are going bad, the stress from a cutout can cause shifting/slippage and throw the cut off.

Happen to me once.

2. Default

Version 1.187
    Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    What version of software are you running?

3. Default

I changed them recently. I will recheck them tomorrow. That would be nice if that's all it was, they are easy to change and I bought a bunch of extras.
    Quote Originally Posted by chief2007 View Post
    Check your y bearings - they should be changed around 250 hrs. If your bearings are going bad, the stress from a cutout can cause shifting/slippage and throw the cut off.

Happen to me once.

I would check the x encoder for dust. On a carve the board moves in increments in one direction and a misfire might not be noticable. Not so on a cutout.

5. Default

Is the x encoder underneath the machine on the back of the motor? I'm not familiar with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I would check the x encoder for dust. On a carve the board moves in increments in one direction and a misfire might not be noticable. Not so on a cutout.

Do you have dust collection? I would next look at the x gears. There may be a tooth missing. The belts and their bearings may be fouled up with dust. Roll the x gears by hand and see how hard the belts are to turn. Look for a sources of resistance to belt movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Robkjv1611 View Post
    Is the x encoder underneath the machine on the back of the motor? I'm not familiar with it.
    It's part of the board tracking sensor: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ing_sensor.pdf

I thought you were talking about the x motor encoder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I thought you were talking about the x motor encoder as well.
    I guess I was letting my own experience influence here. I would check the board tracking encoder first, then the motor encoder.

If you will indulge me on a suggestion... or not....

Rolled under Sand Paper Belts are very hard to see.... One suggestion and it is something I do all the time.... I turn off the machine and using a pair of needle nose pliers I puncture a hole in the sand paper belt under the cut motor on the keyboard side where the steel outfeed roller gap is for the out feed tray. I then rip off a 3/8 to 1/2 inch strip with the needle nose pliers pushing the belt toward the center of the machine and rip it off.... This will uncover a hiding rolled under belt and lower the board at the brass roller slightly to make better contact with the brass roller... It usually looses contace 3.5 inches from the end of the physical board when the board is possibly being held by less pressure due to only being under one roller or even the back or one of the in feed or out feed tables are set TOO HIGH.

Humor me... I know you did select to stay under the rollers.... What do you have to loose but a 1/2 inch of belt... The machine will work fine with the missing piece.... I rip EVERY belt as it creeps toward the brass roller... I always have a gap... I believe the belt creep is caused by me cutting more narrow boards like 6 inch and less 12 inch boards. This causes the belt to wear or get broken in and slightly bigger making a tapered cone from the belt.....

Good luck... I don't believe the brass encoder is at fault.

It won't hurt my feelings if you decide that the belt is not rolled under and not the problem... and dissreguard my suggestion....

Have a GREAT DAY... This is more for others doing a search in the future...

AL Who?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02202_WEB.jpg   DSC02198_WEB.jpg   DSC02200_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast