Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: problems with the Y axis

I would re-tighten the belt. Back off the locking screw and the re-tighten it. If the bit was new, the carriage rollers are free rolling, the y motor pack bearings are good, what else can it be? (You could also mark the belt and drive sprocket with a felt marker so you will know if it later slips.)

2. Default

Good idea with the marker I will try it thanks for the input

That is some pretty hard to cut wood.... and you must be EXTRA Careful that it is Pressure Treated (I believe) and the Chemicals in the Pressure Treated are DEATH on Exposed Steel.... I have a Brad Point bit that I used to drill some Pressure Treated and forgot to clean it.. In a few days it was Badly Rusted....

Your Drill Rod Y and Z Rails will be the first to show the rust...

So back to the problem... I believe it is actualy the Y Gear box 2 little bearings... the 5 x 11 x 5 mm or 685ZZ bearings...

The two bearings take the most abuse of any part in the machine.... And Especially since you completed some SERIOUS cutting where the Y was doing a lot of work... I believe they have FAILED or are close to Failing and under the Stress of Cutting the belt pulls the big plastic gear AWAY from the Servo Motor Shaft. This is where the bit slips as the Servo is pulling or pushing but the big plastic gear leans AWAY to the point that the teeth slip between the servo shaft and big gear..... (How many times did he repeat that.... )

This is evident in the FACT that you did not get a SERVO ERROR.... The Servo Motor was HAPPY.... The Pulses were "Right on the Money" so "No Problem"... but in fact.... The Big Plastic Gear sliped.... I have seen this many times.... and Sometimes the FIRST indication of a ERROR is when the Sign is done and the machine is returning the Y to HOME and all of a sudden it SMASHES into the Keyboard side "Before it Expected to"... and raises it's hand and tells you... Y STALL..... But ONLY because it was returning home and smashed into the wall... The Project is DONE... It may be OFF in Y.... but done...

A Critical piece of information anyone should post with a Y Stall is.... "How Many Cut Hours"... That tells me if it is likely the Y Gear Box is worn out... and the MORE hard Projects you push at the machine the Quicker the Y Bearings Fail.... I recommend changing the bearings at 250 Cut Hours... At the same time as you change the Carbon Brushes in the Cut Motor.... Most Y Gear Box failures that I had in 2007-2009 were in the range of 450 Cut Motor hours.... BUT.... It was a WORN THIN Shaft of the Big Plastic Gear that caught my Attention... And the 3 CLICKS when the Y was over at the Bit Plate.... The 3 Clicks was the Servo Motor Shaft trying to PUSH the Y over further and the Big Plastic Gear slipping 3 clicks...

LHR sells the little plastic gear with shaft if you find you have waited TOO long to replace the 2 bearings.... It took me WAY too long to put that simple fact together.... So NOW I stand on my "Tide" Soap Box and Shout Out the info to anyone who will listen......

The Y Bearings are CHEAP replace them OFTEN..... You can see by the Picture Dates... It IS a Issue.... Unless your PRO ACTIVE and change them OFTEN...

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC00486_WEB.jpg   DSC09643_WEB.jpg   DSC09644_WEB.jpg  

DSC07751_WEB.jpg   DSC07752_WEB.jpg   DSC06540_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

4. Default

After reading Al's message I tore apart the cw for about the 5th time this week and sure enough the shaft on the y motor is worn down which explained the jumping. Ordered all new gears and bearings so hopefully this solves my problems and it's not the first chink in the armor

thanks again everybody

todd

Al comes through yet again!

Yes BUT..... It was another user who posted the first pictures of the 2 bearings...... Up until that point I had 3 Worn out Gear Boxes that I swapped out with old Z Boxes from the A907 upgrade. I saw the worn shaft but thought the bearings were Babbit... I even recommended adding the back of the shaft to the "Oil Me" list.... I was Humbled.... The date can be seen on the picture with MY 2 bearings and you can find the related posts.... My Eureka Moment....

GOOD JOB !!!! finding the worn shaft and getting the parts on order....

I will be away from my computer for 3 Days.....

Back Soon

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by toddschroeder76 View Post
    After reading Al's message I tore apart the cw for about the 5th time this week and sure enough the shaft on the y motor is worn down which explained the jumping. Ordered all new gears and bearings so hopefully this solves my problems and it's not the first chink in the armor

thanks again everybody

todd
    The Bearings can't be ordered through LHR... http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bear...-bearings.html You need four. two for the Z and two for the Y. I always order them by the dozen.
    Last edited by badbert; 12-03-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Thanks for the link badbert, ordered the bearings this am..

I must be doing something right I have 590 cut motor hours on one machine and 680 on my other machine and haven't changed anything and still going strong..... [don't want to jinx myself]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast